Ignition timing and basemap on D16Y8

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
DaWaN

Ignition timing and basemap on D16Y8

Post by DaWaN »

Hi guys,

I'm getting a bit confused about the D16Y8 ignition timing.

My specs:
D16Y7 engine with 12 degree marked pulley
D16Y8 head, camshaft,camgear
TD-80U dizzy
P06 with VTEC
P30 base with P28 / P2P maps tuning with CROME

The first thing I want to do is to run a P2P basemap, but what does the timing has to be ? I want to run 12 degree basetiming but a lot of guys run 21 degrees base timing which translate to 12 degrees at the crankshaft....which confuses me. The P2P maps also contain 21 degree basetiming

Can somebody explain me what timing I have to run on a OBD2 engine with a OBD1 ecu ?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: Ignition timing and basemap on D16Y8

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Were does the 21 come from?

My guess would be get 16 deg basetiming since your running OBD1 maps. I always tune that way and often I am within 2 deg of maximum power. On a side note, I never bother with the actual values in the fuel maps, I physically time with a strobe to start off. So with the stock maps and strobe, set the flash approximately on 16 deg, though its hard to estimate since your markings are only at 10, 12, and 14.

DaWaN

Re: Ignition timing and basemap on D16Y8

Post by DaWaN »

After reading some more I came across some maps that allow me to time the dizzy at 12 degrees.
If it does not run well I'm going to start with D16Z6 maps and time the dizzy at 16 degrees.
The only thing with the D16Z6 is the fact it needs much more timing because of its lack of quench, so i'm not to keen on trying the D16Z6 basemap