d16 block,d14 head,what dizzy?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
manasel

d16 block,d14 head,what dizzy?

Post by manasel »

hello everyone!
yesterday my d16z6 camshaft has been jammed and the camshaft pulley has turned like 180 degrees from his line up,so i tooked the head of and replaced it with my old d14 head.the engine starts and iddles great but when in full throttle he's like missfiring.
Now on the car i have a d16 vtec dizzy and the car was started with the d16z6 map,from what i know the d16z6 dizzy has the spark at 180 degrees,i've tried to fired up with d16a6 bin file and runs like sht..worst than with the original map.
So the big question is if i want to run that d16a6 map what dizzy should i use?the d14 dizzy or the vtec dizzy?any help will be apreciated.

BETEK

Re: d16 block,d14 head,what dizzy?

Post by BETEK »

Inform us with more detail about your car specs to let us to help you.
For example is it 96-98 or 99-00 model?
Why are you using d16a6 fuel maps?
Is the engine timing correct?

manasel

Post by manasel »

the car is ej9 from 1996,ive swapped it with d16z6,but as i sayed the camshaft seized up and the cam pulley rotated by it self like 180 degrees.so the vtec head is gone now im using d14 old head,and if it hasn't vtec i pressumed that the car will go better with a d16a6 map,my dear friend about the timing how do i set the timing?like on d16z6 or like d14??today i set the timing by raising cylinder 1 and 4 to top dead center and i aligned the camshaft with the marks.thanks

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

If you have obd1 ecu you can't swap 96-98 ej9's dizzy.
So check if the timing of stock ej9 corresponds to d16a6 fuel maps that gives the signal for firing the dizzy.
If not search the degrees that you must set the timing to corresponds to d16a6 maps.
Did you adjust the valve gap? Is it good?
Did you fit correctly the dizzy to the head to be on TDC?
Or a temporary solution is to go back to stock ej9 dizzy and ecu and the timing set to the original marks to see how the engine works.

manasel

Post by manasel »

on neutral the car is accelerating well,when in gear if i drive it normally it runs great ,when in full throttle it does like missfiring .tomorrow ill do all the things you've said and i will try another bin file.
the main question remains still...in this configuration what dizzy is more usefull??
UPDATE.it seems like the d16a6 bin file wasnt so good at all,so a friend of mine is doing another one,and he compared the d16a6 stock bin file with the d16z6 vtec and it seems that the z6 map has more ignition timing than the a6.

manasel

Post by manasel »

so the timing is correct,got the new d16a6 map,same thing!so should i swap the d14a3 dizzy ??now im runing a d16z6 vtec dizzy,from what i know the snail in the dizzy is 180 degrees out
take a look at this pictures and give me some sugestions,a non vtec dizzy and a vtec dizzy
http://www.tnttec.net/city/DSC01436.JPG
http://www.tnttec.net/city/DSC01438.JPG

manasel

Post by manasel »

30-40 degrees of timing from the ignition map and runs like a winner!problem solved!

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Great news ;) :)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Only reading your story now. Your actually having the reversed problem of what I do. I run D14 block with D16Z6 cam and dizzy. In my case I have D16Y8 head and tried to fit dizzys which fall in the D14/D15B2/7/D16Y8 group which is different from D16Z6/Z9 group (which actually is a rare type!). Even with maximum advance the timing would still be retarded.

In your case I expect the opposite... having D16Z6 dizzy... wait how did you mount it??? It should normally not fit on D14 head without grinding out some stuff. I expect you to have swapped a tiny piece of the D16Z6 head to fix the dizzy with one bolt. That is my current solution as well. But than you are running D14 cam? Which means your dizzy is way to advanced perhaps...

When you say 30/40 deg timing I expect you mean advancing? That would contradict my story unless you managed to line up the dizzy with the head somehow on 1 or 2 bolt locations which would mean your dizzy is way from it's normal position giving really weird stuff.

The car probably ran on low load since burn speed is very low and the engine can forgive big errors. With full load mixture gets more dense, burn speed is higher and therefore timing should be retarded almost to BTDC (well... 25 deg before or something).

Bottomline... should have checked with a stroboscope the approximate timing position before running full load. Now you might have had severe detonation when the engine felt like missfiring... in best case it was actually unable to burn and perform missfire. In worst case the spark did ignite, burning the mixture way before top dead centre and trying to reverse engine motion!!! And causing terrible heat built up.

About ECU maps. D16A6 is bad mappings since cam profile is pretty different I believe from the later non-VTECs. D16Z6 is even worse for the same reason... I know that I started from D15B7 maps (same problem as D16A6) and had to lower fuel values in the low and mid region and increase fuel above 5000 rpm (yeah the later non-VTECs seem to breath better at higher rpms is my believe). I think D16A6 was indeed safest choice actually...

manasel

Post by manasel »

so lets start with the beggining.the carcase of the d16z6 dizzy is not original,on the d16 head it didn't line up ,still i managed to grind a hole and fit it there.so on the d14 head fits perfectly,im running d14 cam,with 30/40 degrees of advance timing.still needs some more advance because between 700-2000rpm it still feels a little bit unadvanced.i don't hear no missfires,on full throttle feels a little bit more cocky than the d16 head,maybe because my tuner gave another 10 degrees of advance on full throttle.
About the map my tuner has started from a z6 map and copyed all the values from the a6 map,i've told you no missfires no unburned fuel or black smoke,this is the only thing that i feel wrong with the car that it needs more advance like another 10 degrees .
And it might be only in my head or with the d16 head the car wasn't running so good,but with the d14 head the car runs a little bit faster .thanks for your reply dodo