d16 block,d14 head,what dizzy?

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: d16 block,d14 head,what dizzy?

Post by Dodo Bizar »

My advice: get a stroboscope and see how the warm idle lines up. As long as you don't have that number, it's guessing all over the place with all risks at hand.

manasel

Post by manasel »

ok,i'll do that.
let me tell you about the map ,so we started to do the map and we did like 5 tries before this final map,and every time we gave it 5 or 10 degrees of advance ,and from close to close we ended with this one .but as you say it's better to check with a stroboscope.any risk if i run the car like this?with a little bit of ignition retarded?

Post by 007 »

if the D14 dizzy that came originally with the head is compatible with the wiring and ECU, I would say run that, for the simple reason that all dizzys seem to have differently indexed pickups.

check out the differences between the B7 and Z6 distributors:

notice how the CYP tooth is perfectly in line with one of the CKP teeth for a Z6 but slightly offset for a B7. my assumption is that these things are set according to the cam indexing, hence the best thing to do is to select a distributor that came stock with the cam being used.

please feel free to correct me if Ive gone wrong somewhere.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I am not sure if the alligning of CYP and CKP matters... isn;t it the aligning of CYP (+TDC) with respect to the slot in the camshaft which matters? And the 'key' that goes into this slot? (Not sure if I use the right words to describe it).

Also, the CYP, CKP and TDC teeth are simply put on the shaft (using heat expansion and cooling down?) without any means of precise alligning I think.

Post by 007 »

Dodo Bizar wrote:I am not sure if the alligning of CYP and CKP matters... isn;t it the aligning of CYP (+TDC) with respect to the slot in the camshaft which matters? And the 'key' that goes into this slot? (Not sure if I use the right words to describe it).

Also, the CYP, CKP and TDC teeth are simply put on the shaft (using heat expansion and cooling down?) without any means of precise alligning I think.
now that I think about it again Joris, you might be right about the relative position of the CKP wheel and CYP wheel but yes, the relation between the CYP wheel and the key [which is the correct term] will matter a whole lot. I was reading a conversation between Dave Blundell and Mista Bone:
TransBone (3:02:06 PM): CYP lobe, different (180 degrees) between SOHC VTEC and non VTEC dizzys, does it matter?
blundel (3:02:36 PM): oooh nasty
TransBone (3:05:28 PM): doesn't the CYP sensor start the timing for the 4 injectors?
blundel (3:05:30 PM): yeah it's kinda important
blundel (3:05:37 PM): sequential fuel injection
TransBone (3:05:53 PM): that what I gathered reading some of mark's posts
blundel (3:05:48 PM): used to figure out which injector to fire
full link here: http://www.d-series.org/forums/general- ... usted.html

in the end, one would still conclude that it is always safest to use the dizzy that came with that particular cam.

manasel

Post by manasel »

it is good that this thing is being discussed,another thing that i noticed,with stock d16a6 map(without adding advance timing) and the original d16z6 map,the ignition was still retarded,a slight difference between the maps,the a6 map was a little more advanced,so my big question comes here?only with ecu tuning can you run a vtec dizzy on a non vtec head,and the other way around??

Post by 007 »

manasel wrote:it is good that this thing is being discussed,another thing that i noticed,with stock d16a6 map(without adding advance timing) and the original d16z6 map,the ignition was still retarded,a slight difference between the maps,the a6 map was a little more advanced,so my big question comes here?only with ecu tuning can you run a vtec dizzy on a non vtec head,and the other way around??
it isnt about the presence or absence of VTEC but when the ECU receives the CYP pulse with in relation to the reference piston [not sure whether that is #1 or #3] being at TDC. if by inverting the key and / or rotating the distributor housing you can get the CYP wheel to sync with the reference piston, then you can take care of everything else electronically. if for any reason this relation goes out of sync, it will affect injector and spark timing with varying levels of unpredictability.