P2P ECU

Wiring up and working with the D14 ECUs
asad786

P2P ECU

Post by asad786 »

Hi,
If i Get a y8 IM y8 Head and ecu to go with the y8 (P2P). Do i still need to do the obd2>obd1? as the P2P is obd2 with vtec.
If not can you advise me on what else i would nee and how my mini me would differ in installation to the usual mini me swap.

UKDM Ej9 1.4i 98 D14A4

saxophonias

Re: P2P ECU

Post by saxophonias »

I guess you won't have a problem only that you won't be able to tune your ecu which will be necessary _fine tuning_. So you may need to go obd1 in the first place.

Post by 007 »

if you run the entire Y8 top half with the Y8 ECU, it should be able to handle the decreased displacement.

*however*, for best results, you will need to alter the ECU maps and for that you will need an OBD1 ECU. it is just a little conversion harness that plugs straight into the existing OBD2 harness. so you may wanna convert to OBD1 the first time around and save yourself headaches later.

asad786

Post by asad786 »

Thanks that was very helpfull, the reason i ask is because i dont really have the money to tune. Would i still see gains and drivabilty on the standard P2P maps ? Ive also heard that you need to wire a knock sensor in?

asad786

Post by asad786 »

Also with this ecu do i still need the y8 dizzy and injectors?

Post by 007 »

if the P2P needs a knock sensor, then you will have to wire one in. it is quite simple to do. there is already a threaded hole behind the block for it. you need to get a compatible sensor with a pigtail and then run the wire to the appropriate ECU pin.

coming to the running part, you will be fine running at part throttle. *however*, the moment you floor it, the ECU will go into open loop and forget about fuel trimming. then your 1.4 liter engine will be getting fuel meant for a 1.6 liter engine, ie. you will be running 15% rich. not really an ideal situation. a chipped ECU does cost a bit upfront, but it pays for itself very soon. I would *strongly* recommend saving up and getting one, given the fact that you are already going to spend a significant amount of money on the head, manifold, etc.

yes, you will need the Y8 dizzy and injectors too. running stock 190 cc injectors with an ECU that has maps for 240 cc injectors will cause a lean condition when the ECU is in open loop. your injectors are 26% smaller and the displacement is 15% lower. that is a 10% gap.

to summarize, with a P2P ECU:
1. existing 190 cc injectors will run your engine 10% lean in open loop.
2. proper 240 cc injectors will run the engine 15% rich in open loop.
a remappable ECU is the proper solution. if that isn't an option, I would prefer 15% rich vs 10% lean.

asad786

Post by asad786 »

Okey thanks i think im going to run 15% lean as im trying to keep costs down. How hard is to to chip an ecu with chrome?

Post by 007 »

you mean 15% *rich*, right? 10% lean at WOT will kill your engine faster than you think and you will end up spending more money rebuilding it than you saved in the first place.

chipping an ECU is not very difficult. you can find plenty of tutorials all over the internet. you will need an OBD1 ECU, a chipping kit and a good soldering gun.

archyman

Post by archyman »

Hi there and welcome over.
I think that running rich or lean is not an option anyway, because you will put one bag of money for the head, manifiold dizzy etc , and when you pump the gas the car will struggle, and you may end up even with ruined engine...my advice is, collect some cash and do the obd1 conversion and tune.

I recently bought my virgin p06 ecu for 40 $ from ebay..chips and burners are available and not costly.
Also there is a lot of info on the net, and people that will attend if help is needed.
Good luck, cheers!

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Could someone provide a link to a "chipping kit" as described in the two above posts? I'm not 100% sure what you mean.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete