Possible ignition switch problem? Or cylinder broken?

Any issues? Discuss them here
gofra

Possible ignition switch problem? Or cylinder broken?

Post by gofra »

Hey folks, I ran into some starting/shutting down problems with my FL 1999 Civic 1.4

In short, here are the problems:

- if I turn the key into most extreme position (so you can lock the steering wheel), I struggle to turn it back counter-wise. I need several attempts to do so and start the engine
- sometimes, when I start the car, the ignition does not turn on (no dashboard lights, no fuel pump)...the car wont start, of course
- sometimes, after I manage to run it....it shuts down randomly. Especially if I touch or wiggle the key while running.
- I can turn the lock with a damn screwdriwer! Even start the car, but wont run, of course, as there is a coded key needed.

I have read alot about these issues and it seems Honda FL models had some problems. However, I wonder, is this all a part of the electronic ignition part or just cylinder mechanical failure? Or, perhaps asit seems, both?

Reason for asking is that I have been told I can only replace the ignition module if it)s the first thing. If there is a mechanical failure, I might need to change the complete insert (lock) and would possibly need new keys. As my car is a FL model equipped with an imobiliser, that would mean recoding the keys or changing the ECU unit...which makes things more expensive.

Anyone has more info regarding this? Many thanx in advance!

Best!

BETEK

Re: Possible ignition switch problem? Or cylinder broken?

Post by BETEK »

It is somehow common problem for 98-99 civics.
The ignition switch contacts (see photo: in the white cylinder) have problem sometimes
here is the Honda bulletin for this issue http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x02-031e.pdf
changing this part will solve your problem ;)

gofra

Post by gofra »

Oh, nice! Thnx a lot Betek!

Is this a straightforward change? No need to recode keys, change locks or anything? Also, would any of these fit or do I have to take a facelift version one?

Best,

Frane

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

just change the switch, nothing else need
you can see the part number on the picture, it is same for 96-00

gofra

Post by gofra »

Found it - local dealer has it - 36 EUR...buying and trying tomorrow - thnx a lot m8!

Best, F

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Do you think this has to do with a problem I face now and then that the car won't start and the key lamp stays on?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

saxophonias wrote:Do you think this has to do with a problem I face now and then that the car won't start and the key lamp stays on?
If the green key lamp comes on about 2 seconds and after blinking always until you turn off the ignition and does not start engine then it is immobilizer issue.
Immobilizer controls starter and fuel supply system.
Do you have cranking sound from engine?

gofra

Post by gofra »

Betek, are you 100% sure about immobilizer controling the starter as well?

Namely, I am able to run the starter even with a screwdriver plugged into the lock (lock has to have some mechanical . Of course, the engine doesn't run as the fuel supply is cut...but it cranks. Or is it some other control immobilizer has control over it?

gofra

Post by gofra »

A small update- it was indeed the switch Betek was talking about - I took it apart and temporarily rebrushed the contacts and put it back together. It works for now - I'll do a better procedure in time. Dealer had the RHD version which Im affraid, doesnt fit - new LHD version is 45 EUR:/

This article here describes the problem and solutions perfectly: http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html

Best, F