Hole in Exhuast, will it pass emissions??

Any issues? Discuss them here
mynameisowen

Hole in Exhuast, will it pass emissions??

Post by mynameisowen »

Hi, my car had been driving perfectly (95,000miles) since I brought it but then one day i got in it after work and i just heard bruuuuuuuuuum. I thought oh no ive got a hole. Now this wouldnt really bother me much but ive got my MOT test in a week, and cant afford to fail!!!

I havent had a proper look underneath yet as i dont have a good jack to life high enough. My friend suggested covering the tailpipe and trying to find the leak that way. What do you think?

My lambda sensor is situated on in exhaust manifold and I dont think the leak is that close too the engine. But will I still fail emissions due to extra oxygen being sucked into the system after the lambda?? Also can you fail on too load an exhuast???

Thanks a lot guys.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Re: Hole in Exhuast, will it pass emissions??

Post by saxophonias »

Why don't you go to an exhaust center to fix it? It should be very straightforward and quick and easy fix. In Greece a typical work like this doesn't cost more than 20e.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

It is likely that the emmision test will fail (I have always trouble with the emmisions). Last year the MOT guy and I tried to check all sails and it just barely made the test. The EJ1 actually still fails, have to fix it before the next MOT.

But moreover in the Netherlands, having a hole makes you fail it already, despite the emmision results. But I think most MOT centres overhere are very willing to help out and if they can find a small hole that can be welded they do that for you. Are your MOT centres less flexible in the UK?

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Good news i passed today, i used the putty about a week before and it fell off :( so i was up late last night using more putty and it worked.
I got a caution for the join but i dont care i passed, im gonna buy a cat back soon anyway sooooo :D

Cheers guys
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete