Final Muffler Dying

Any issues? Discuss them here
Law_

Final Muffler Dying

Post by Law_ »

Hi everyone ! In 5000 kms in my hands i've destroyed my final exhaust muffler i suppose due to high EGTs. The cost for put a new one on the EJ9 is 60eur approx. Can someone tell me if its better to upgrade for a used muffler from a better Honda model?In the future i suppose that modifications will be on the exhaust also, like trade of header and cat. removal. cheers

saxophonias

Re: Final Muffler Dying

Post by saxophonias »

it's a wear due to corrosion right? It's inevitable if you are near the sea or there is salt on the streets to melt snow. I would suggest you get a sporty one made of inox.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

i dont live near sea and there is no salt on the ground never... it is time related i guess. i would not want to spend too much money. i'm thinking, should i buy the OEM one for 60eur or some better Honda muffler like type R or vti?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

can you find ek9 or ek4 muffler for only 60e?

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I say upgrade man, you will probs upgrade it in the future anyway, why spend 60euro + the price of upgrade??
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Law_

Post by Law_ »

I think that is what i am going to do x)
maybe an itr / crv one...

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

An ek9 rear muffler would be great,you don't have to modify it to fit.A integra muffler needs to be modified.If you can get a hold of a RSX (type r)rear muffler get that one.It's the best OEM honda muffler out there.It's got a valve inside that stays close in low rpm to dampen the sound , and opens up on high rpm to give you a free flowing muffler.

Here are some inside pictures

Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

wow! thanks for sharing Nick! When saying rsx you mean the integra dc5? If yes it must pretty hard to find

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Thank you very much... i'm looking for a used inox muffler ;)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Yup RSX = Integra DC5 you can find them sometimes in america or japan.Watch out for the RSX type-S mufflers from America ,they are not the same.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"