Cat back exhuast questions

Any issues? Discuss them here
mynameisowen

Cat back exhuast questions

Post by mynameisowen »

Ive had a hole in my exhuast for a quite a time now, i patched it up with exhuast putty to make it pass MOT (got a caution). Its never been more than a nuisance, but i was parking my car the other day on some mud and i hear this big cracking sound... My back box had just fallen straight off!!

So im not sure if this i illegal to not a run a silencer anyone know if it is in England???

Im gonna get a catback exhuast custom made for me, ive never done anything like this before though. Whats the deal? Do you take your car in and they take measuremente,etc. You tell them diameter and they make??? Do they put silencers in??? What is a good diameter to use?? i was thinking 2.5" (~65mm).

Thanks guys... Also what guys did you pay for a catback in your locations???
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Re: Cat back exhuast questions

Post by saxophonias »

a custom cat back in Greece with 2 inox mufflers cost around 200e+
i would suggest you use 50-55mm tube diameter.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

is it necessary to use two silencers?? I want the least restrictions as possible, im not too bothered about the noise as long as it is legal :)
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

mynameisowen wrote:is it necessary to use two silencers?? I want the least restrictions as possible, im not too bothered about the noise as long as it is legal :)
A straight true muffler doesn't give you any restriction.Magnaflow makes very good pieces and gives you a nice low tone.I'm using them in my exhaust with my homemade twinloop.I would at least use one muffler in the place were your cat normally is to prevent that anoying sharp sound around 3000rpm that every D-series engine has.And another one in the middle as a mid silincer.2 4" round silincers will be enough and offcourse a rear muffler.I just came across a nice muffler on ebay the other day.It looked like the spoon N1 muffler but the canister was bigger and it only cost $50 .
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

hondaNickx wrote:A straight true muffler doesn't give you any restriction.
I dont understand how it doesnt give restriction?? My understanding is two mufflers for better quality sound, but one muffler for minimum road legal and less restrictions (better exhuast efficiency)??
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

mynameisowen wrote:
hondaNickx wrote:A straight true muffler doesn't give you any restriction.
I dont understand how it doesnt give restriction?? My understanding is two mufflers for better quality sound, but one muffler for minimum road legal and less restrictions (better exhuast efficiency)??
A straight true design muffler is just a perforated piece of pipe with damping material around it.It acts just like a straight piece of pipe.
How would that give a restriction ?Even if it does give some it's very small and never worth it for your setup.I think you need to make like 1000Hp to notice a restriction from something like that.Do yourself and your neighbours a favor and get 2 center mufflers.I used to drive around with only a rear muffler and believe me after a year you get tired of the noice it makes inside the car and all the people giving you the "Are you crazy" sign ... ;)
But as with most things you have to try it once in your life.I'll never get back to the loud exhaust setup again ,stealth is much more fun.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

:D Loved to try that. although i had run without final muffler before ;)

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

okay cool man, thanks for the info, im running no backbox atm and it is quite loud, too loud....
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.