Question on Emissions Test

Any issues? Discuss them here
saxophonias

Re: Question on Emissions Test

Post by saxophonias »

i think they pass emmisions. If it is legit for california then you are ok!! You can always ask them!

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Today I had to do technical inspection at ej9 in KTEO (the Greek car technical inspection organization, like MOT).
The car passed the technical inspection BUT the technicians said that the idle CO emissions were very high near the limit and the car passed the emissions test hardly.

So the results of emissions test:
Idle--> CO(%) 0.15, HC(ppm) 119
High Revs--> CO(%) 0.05, HC(ppm) 15
λ-->1,005

What can be the problem ?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I think I scored 0.18% CO at idle with my Skunk2 cam last week. I am allowed 0.5% here in NL...

Running idle the solution is easy, let the ECU run a few % leaner, if my lambda is 1.1, I got 0.00% CO.

Last years I start developing all kinds of emission issues, can't get my head around it. Two weeks ago I failed MOT with the EJ9, last week I wanted CRX2 and another garage to sort out my problem... but the problem wasn't there anymore, everything was pretty much within the limits. I think the speed of the control loop changes a lot by my modifications, but eCtune still corrects everything as if it were factory spec headers, throttle body, cams etc... I am guessing, but there might be a problem.

On a side note, my EJ9 brake-lines were a fail, they tent to rust away under the paint. It's a 6th gen Civic flaw. Honda dealer gave me fresh pieces of brake-line, just near the fuel tank on the bottom. I got one of the old brake-lines with me... really badly corroded. Warning to all my EJ9 and other 6th gen Civic owners on this board, have your brake-lines inspected by the dealer. I knew this problems for years but thought I did not have it, lines seemed fine to me... the piece of metal lying on my dining table with the paint removed now tells me a complete different story.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Did you start loosing brake pressure before you notivced or was it a chance check?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

i guess it has to do with the salt being dropped at the roads to melt the snow. We don't have such problems in the south but rust is always an issue if you live near the sea.
I had my car passed MOT some days ago. I will post my results to compare.
The interesting thing is that the weighed the car 1126kg with a passenger inside and half fuel tank.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Heavy ain't it?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

actually it must be around 1040kg as claimed factory spec but full of fluids and also spare tyre, things in the trunk bla bla bla. 8-)