vtec problem on mini me

Any issues? Discuss them here
novaksaotome

vtec problem on mini me

Post by novaksaotome »

hey guys, i finally finished my swap and got it running (more-less) correctly, i fixed the bad craking on the head and the idle that was lumpy is also being controlled. so i had the chance to let the car warm up completely and rev the engine like over 7000 rpms. i wanted to see if the vtec engaged correctly. Many say that on sohc engines you cant hear it, but hell you hear it!!! Anyways, the problem is that i star reving the car, and over 5000 rpms i listen the sound (louder) of the vtec for one or 2 seconds and then it sims like the rev limiter comes in for 2 seconds, or the vtec doesnt work i guess, then the engine continiues to rev till 7000 but not smoothly.

I wonder if the vtec only engages when the car is moving??? or probably a bad vtec solenoid? please help if you can give some advise!!!

lumpenst

Re: vtec problem on mini me

Post by lumpenst »

You can check if your solenoid is working using a 12v direct source and see if you can hear it clicking. Also it might be a problem with the mapping of your rom that it could have a very rich spot in that rpm band. Check these two first.

Btw vtec works only when moving by default but it can be set to work without the car moving in the tuning softwares.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

moved it to the right place.Indeed the vtec doesn't engage when in neutral.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

VTEC usage is limited by certain factors:

Speed should be above some value, 15 kmh or so. (Burning wheels gives VTEC since VSS measures wheel speed on the front spinning wheels).
Temp should be above 65 C or so.

I think lambda sensor should also read rich...

And probably I forgot some others.