Dropping idle

Any issues? Discuss them here
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: Dropping idle

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Yup, I always like to dive all my cars (now only 2) around once a week for a decent distance. Unfortunately the EJ9 might see a lot of resting the coming year (restoring the rear).

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Definitely guys, mine was only stored (outside in the weather mind...) for 1.5 months and there is a definite idle problem now that was not there before. Sometimes my idle will get dangerously low ~500rpm and the whole car starts to shudder, I then have to give it a blip on the throttle and it will restore to normal. To be honest it you are going to be storing the car for a long period of time, like 6 months or something, I would recommend draining all the fluids and WD40'ing moving parts. When I first drove the car the brakes where so badly siezed I had to try and wheelspin to get the car moving and the was some serious grinding noises coming from the wheels until I had done some harsh braking! Cars are meant for driving!!!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I think the problem with the but idle is the ignition coil.
I recently had MOT inspection and the car pass the emission control hard at high revs fume test.
Compared the numbers with previous MOT test this was worse. Then the previous test was worse from the pre-previous.
I think that year by year the efficiency of coil is dropping.
The problem is that I can not find anywhere ignition coil for ej9 pre-facelift, part number CM1T-231 from Hitachi.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

That could be your catalyst though right? The ignition coil deterioration wouldnt have any other symptoms?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I don't think that the problem is the catalyst because the problem would be constant.
But the dropping idle problem occurs sometimes and not always as it would be with the catalyst.
The car has little more consumption of fuel compared to the past.
Also I measured the ignition coil and it is slightly in the limits
saxophonias wrote: The ignition coil deterioration wouldnt have any other symptoms?
Ignition coil because of it' nature usually deteriorates with passing of time little each time and someone can't understand the falling of it's performance. Symptoms might be hesitation on acceleration, more fuel consumption, dropping of power, bad idle and not stable, more fumes at high revs because of the bad combustion

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

how did you measure that?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

It is simple process

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Very helpful!

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I am going to check this too.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Dodo Bizar wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:56 pm ECU learns the idle settings after a reset and perhaps even on the long run.
Joris you had mentioned a learning mode skill for the ecu. I have experienced the following. Whenever I reset the ecu for a reason or clean the TB, then the idle is erratic and usually high. The last time this happened it took a couple of months for the ECU to drop the idle in 750rpms again. I wonder could it be a self learning ecu feature?
Also, something that worries me is that even with the new racv when the mechanic cleaned the TB again and retuned the TPS sensor the idle is at 1000rpms, i hope it will drop like it used to, in a couple of months, but the issue is that the idle can't be dropped through the idle screw. It is in the lowest setting and still the engine runs. I think the TB should be completely closed and the engine should stop. This isn't happening happen. Weird isn't it? Any guesses?