D16Z6 IM swap on my EJ9 - IDLE problem

Any issues? Discuss them here
StupidDuck

D16Z6 IM swap on my EJ9 - IDLE problem

Post by StupidDuck »

Hi,

I've juste done the IM swap on my EJ9 with a D16Z6 IM...

- I did not find a way to bolt the 12mm bolt under the middle of the IM (I'll fix that tomorrow, maybe I'll drill a bigger hole in the center of theIM)

- When I first strated it : no error code (yihaa :D), idle at 2000rpm, very stable !

- There was a bit smoke coming from the engine bay (between the firewall and th IM) but I think it's normal because a little coolant an fuel run down...

But : after 1min, the idle stated to do yo-yo (2800 - 1000 - 2800 - 1000 - etc...). It seems to be a RACV issue... The 2 little collant hoses are "open"... should I short circuit them to resolve the problem ?

Thanks to Dodo and the community for the beautiful forum !
Last edited by StupidDuck on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baz

Re: D16Z6 IM swap on my EJ9 from 97

Post by baz »

StupidDuck wrote:Hi,

I've juste done the IM swap on my EJ9 with a D16Z6 IM...

- I did not find a way to bolt the 12mm bolt under the middle of the IM (I'll fix that tomorrow, maybe I'll drill a bigger hole in the center of theIM)

- When I first strated it : no error code (yihaa :D), idle at 2000rpm, very stable !

- There was a bit smoke coming from the engine bay (between the firewall and th IM) but I think it's normal because a little coolant an fuel run down...

But : after 1min, the idle stated to do yo-yo (2800 - 1000 - 2800 - 1000 - etc...). It seems to be a RACV issue... The 2 little collant hoses are "open"... should I short circuit them to resolve the problem ?

Thanks to Dodo and the community for the beautiful forum !
You've mentioned that a bolt is not in place under the IM? That is propably the problem of the bad idle. Make sure you have no leakages from your IM. Check the vacuum hoses.

The RACV have to be short circuit, a hose and some clamps can do the trick.

Good luck!
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

As said baz
Check for vacuum leak, maybe it is the reason for playing idle.
Check all the hoses and connections to IM that you made or forgot to connect some hose.
Also connect proper coolant lines at the RACV

StupidDuck

Post by StupidDuck »

I've short circuited the RACV with a hose and 2 clamps. (BETEK : What is your setup ? Where did you connect the RACV ?)

Also, I bolted the last IM bolt (painful, but done :D). All hoses are well fitted / clamped.

Then I started it, idle at 1800rpm, all normal. Then it begin to warm and the rpm drop a little. Arrived to 1200 rpm itl became unstable, doing yo-yo from 1100 to 1800 :/

What can I check ?

Tere is one thing I don't understand in my setup... If the RACV is short circuited, how can my ECU regulate the idle ? No IACV, no RACV (connected but short circuited), my TA senso is on the intake tube, before the throttle.

baz

Post by baz »

StupidDuck wrote:I've short circuited the RACV with a hose and 2 clamps. (BETEK : What is your setup ? Where did you connect the RACV ?)

Also, I bolted the last IM bolt (painful, but done :D). All hoses are well fitted / clamped.

Then I started it, idle at 1800rpm, all normal. Then it begin to warm and the rpm drop a little. Arrived to 1200 rpm itl became unstable, doing yo-yo from 1100 to 1800 :/

What can I check ?

Tere is one thing I don't understand in my setup... If the RACV is short circuited, how can my ECU regulate the idle ? No IACV, no RACV (connected but short circuited), my TA senso is on the intake tube, before the throttle.
The hoses for the RACV are ment for cooling. So the RACV still regulates but with no cooling. I've had the same problem. Bolt the RACV off the manifold and clean it proparly. The little coil inside it can get stuck.
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

StupidDuck

Post by StupidDuck »

Ok thanks, I'll try this !

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

StupidDuck wrote: (BETEK : What is your setup ? Where did you connect the RACV ?)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=202&start=50
I kept the original throttle body so all the connections are as were before, only some wires needed extension and some coolant lines to reach the RACV from IM

StupidDuck

Post by StupidDuck »

Thanks BETEK !

RACV cleaned, the mechanism runs smoothly, but idle still unstable.

I'll order some hoses and connect the RACV to the coolant.

See :

http://www.ej9.ru/ej9/p1/D16Z6_im_sh.png

http://www.ej9.ru/ej9/p1/D16Z6_im_sh2.png

http://www.ej9.ru/ej9/p1/D16Z6_im_sh3.png

That's what I've done... So, to connect the RACV to the coolant, I must connect the main pipe (A1) to the RACV and the RACV to A1 on the intake mani, right ? Is there a "in" or "out" in the RACV or I can connect them in any order ?

edit : changes done, no effect :/
Last edited by StupidDuck on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StupidDuck

Re: D16Z6 IM swap on my EJ9 - IDLE problem

Post by StupidDuck »

I'm a bit lost... Where can I look to resolve this problem ? Apparently, it's not the RACV, I've re-checked the vacuum circuit, all hoses are well fitted and clamped... my gaskets are new too, all bolts correctly bolted...I'm very confused :?

The only thing that is not clamped is the connection between the intake tube and the TB, can this be the problem ?

edit : I'll remove my intake tube and try to block the TB with my palm to see if the motor dies (proove that there is no leak...)

BETEK

Re: D16Z6 IM swap on my EJ9 - IDLE problem

Post by BETEK »

Also check the throttle body cable if adjust correctly