NEED HELP ASAP - Vtec head swapped but car will not start

Any issues? Discuss them here
jangz

NEED HELP ASAP - Vtec head swapped but car will not start

Post by jangz »

Hey guys I need help as my car will not start after the d16z6 vtec swap. The mechanic has taken it off and changed the belt etc about 3 times already.

I have an AEM true time adjustable cam gear
New water pump and timing belt fitted with the swap
The distributor is off the same d16z6 with an adaptor harness that converts OBD1 - OBD2 that fits fine.

I nor the mechanic can think of why its not starting. Could this be due to a simple issue of some other sensor that is not connected properly? He said there is compression, there is spark and fuel also.

Vtec is not connected or wired up yet either... I'm really at loss at the moment and its a daily driver. Any help or suggestions would be grateful
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: NEED HELP ASAP - Vtec head swapped but car will not star

Post by Dodo Bizar »

PM

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Check the immobilizer first.
If lights the green key always at dashboard when you try to start the motor then is the immo issue.
After this you may check the fuel, starter and the timing to be correct

jangz

Post by jangz »

Hey guys

YEY I finally managed to get it working (but its not perfect).

Going back I read a post by Lumpenst who had a similar issue and I thought it could be the same. He mentioned he had to tighten the throttle cable enough to allow more air in to keep the idle up.

But that wasn't the case for me as the throttle cable was set up fine. ECU was also fine as it worked fine before it went into the garage and also had no engine lights either. All sensors where connected to the right places.

Early morning today the garage gave me a call informing me that the timing was off by 180 degrees!!! I was using the D16z6 Distributor with an OBD1 to OBD2 adaptor cable. The mechanic said he had to time it by ear, so its not accurate, but its running. The car jerks and stutters when around 1k RPM and when it hits both 2k and 2.5k RPM, other than that everything seems fine.

During this fitting the alternator belt snapped and the battery went flat so had to get a new belt and get it jumped and drove around a bit, could this also be what is causing the jerky stutter around that RPMs? or is it due to the bad/inaccurate timing?

Also the D16z6 distributor is attached to the engine through one bolt hole at the top, the other 2 by either side don't even reach the engine's original holes, is that going to cause any issue. Its not lose its in tight from what I can see.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

My dizzy is mounted exactly in the same way!

Eventually the dizzy might tilt a bit... mine does. And the bolt got worn out, the hole I mean. So now I got a bolt with a nut on the back.

jangz

Post by jangz »

LOL it has that ghetto hang going on, I will have to secure it some how.

I noticed another issue to the car's top end speed. I drove to work yesterday and had a quick blast through each gear but the car wouldn't seem to go past 95mph (150kph) the car runs smooth but cant seem to find out why its not going any further? it used to easily get to 130/140mph 209/225kph???

Its sounds like its getting faster but it isn't going anywhere? Is it due to the vtec not being wired up? or due to the timing that the mechanic done by ear (estimated the timing by feel) also the jerky low rev seem to be a little better but again, it happens now and again and thinking is it the battery or bad/inaccurate timing?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Get a strobos and time it ;).

jangz

Post by jangz »

hahaha true, true but I'm all new to that stuff and wouldn't even know where to start.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

jangz wrote:hahaha true, true but I'm all new to that stuff and wouldn't even know where to start.
Deffinitely need to get if timed properly man :shock:

How does it feel? Is it nice and fast?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

manasel

Post by manasel »

check the valves clearence man..ive had the same problem.and abbout the dizzy i have a non vtec dizzy with the interior from a vtec dizzy and sits on the head with one screw,it fits just fine.so it isnt from the dizzy.