Need Assistance : Ignition Keys-Barrel-Immobiliser

Any issues? Discuss them here
mynameisowen

Re: Need Assistance : Ignition Keys-Barrel-Immobiliser

Post by mynameisowen »

So what does this immobiliser reading ring look like? I want to know to what range it can read the immo chip in the key (its wireless right?). I wouldn't mind using two sets of keys (extra security =P) but are you sure a keymaker would be able to make a new key AND attach the old immo chip to it??
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Some can indeed copy the chips, depending on which suppliers they work with. I once had a friend copying an Almera key + chip.

And yes you can get the entire set from me, pray that it fits, but I still have to remove the tumbler :mrgreen: . Will hopefully come to that this weekend.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

mynameisowen wrote:So what does this immobiliser reading ring look like? I want to know to what range it can read the immo chip in the key (its wireless right?). I wouldn't mind using two sets of keys (extra security =P) but are you sure a keymaker would be able to make a new key AND attach the old immo chip to it??

The immobilizer ring is the device that sends the key chip signal to immobilizer ecu and engine ecu.
The ring on the photo is the black thing (next to the key) with the white connector on it and 2 wires white-orange including in grey protection tube.
So you will need the ring too if you want to have immobilizer.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Aha! So thats what the that little white connector is for! =P Cheers guys, so my plan is to hopefully use a key and tumbler combo from Joris (thanks man) and then take that with the old immo chip to a locksmith and hope they can sort it for me.

Then take a trip to a scrappy and find an immo ring, passenger window, and all the extra bits of dashboard they smashed.

One last thing: the top of my door has been bent out as you can see from the pictures. Do you reckon its worth tyring to get that bent back into shape or to try and get lucky and find another civic with the same colour door as me...
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

For me that is an aha moment as well.

Shit I should have gotten you the key stuff, I'll try to pry it out tomorrow given the circumstances. Reasons is I stayed at home all weekend, little bit ill, not much but all the time a heavy head, weird throat and sometimes little ear-pain. Bit of flu or other viral thingy going on.

When pried out, I'll visually compare it to the one in the photo above and see if it looks similar.

Btw, is the LHD (left hand drive) similar to the RHD version? If not we might have stumbled upon a problem already. In my LHD case I have to put the key in from the right side. Is that the same?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I am not sure 100% but I think the LHD and RHD have same ignition barrels

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Yea we use the right side fo RHD aswell. Its cool man, your doing em a massive favour as it is =P
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Got it here, I'll PM you some pictures Owen.

The main casting looks very similar, I am convinced it will fit. Though some tit bits appear to be different. The immo ring will not hold on, but I'd be not surprised if it did fit and you could stick the immo chip to your key and voila have similar functionality again :mrgreen: . (You can pry the immo chip out of the old key! Its a tiny plastic like white thing, often disregarded as just that description. Biggest surprise and worry, it seems the connectors on it are the same, at least if I see the one in the picture, same color, same structure. Suppose the second will also be the same.

Btw I was shocked how easy I could get it off without brute force... lets say this, given the right tools and knowledge you can do it without waking up your neighbours. Scary... I am actually glad you had a bunch of brain-damaged Gorillaz in your car, now you still have it for 99%... a smarter guy would have stolen it and enjoyed all your hard work.

Also you can get in our cars without braking the freaking door, I had to do it once by my own car, poor thing still has the scars of it, planning on removing these one day. But it took a long time... 45 min. in my case untrained, with the key inside and engine running hehehehehe. But my door still closes normally, I don;t get it, why steal a car when you're gonna break it anyway?

Bottomline I don't get these burglars... or actually I do get them. Probably too stupid to read and study and therefore don't make enough money, so they turn into crime. Arshes.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Joris, I am not sure but I think the EG civics have thinner steering column.
So I don't know if the barrels form EG will fit to EK steering column.
But better to check it to be sure :roll:

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ouch that would be a waste of effort if that turned out to be. Owen can you measure your steering column, the part were it grabs on to? I'll measure my 5th gen tomorrow if needed.

I just measured the starter, it can only hold up to 31.9 mm, probably designed to be 32. So if your column turns out to be 33 or above, it will not work out...