Rain/Water leaking into boot.

Any issues? Discuss them here
jangz

Rain/Water leaking into boot.

Post by jangz »

Hey guys

UK's weather is notorious for its rain and my boot is like a big puddle due to a leak and its really annoying because when I break the water has sloshed into the back seat sponge and made it all wet and damp.

I see water on both sides of the floor near the rear tail lights. Water is trickling into the boot and has built up a puddle and I have to get ridge of it with a cup. Its messed up my spare wheel making it all rusty and yucky.

I had this same issue in my old 98 model SSB Civic and now in my face-lift 99 SSB Civic.

Any one know how to fix this or had the same issues?
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

saxophonias

Re: Rain/Water leaking into boot.

Post by saxophonias »

I had the same issues in the past due to a bad fix from a minor crash at the rear. Apparently they didn't line up everything right and water could somehow get into the boot. For starters check the rubber which seals the hood. See if it is cut somewhere. Then put it off and check for rust. It is quite common the metal under the rubber to have rust due to rubbish dust etc that stay there. If this is ok check the rear lights for possible leak. The best thing to do however is to be inside the car and have someone pour water from the outside. then you may see from where the water is coming in.

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

if u mean in the trunk and u see water on the space tfor the spare weheel happened to me also what i did is to remove the rear lights and put some black silicon around the surface of the light that touches the chassis and stopped :)
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

jangz

Post by jangz »

Yeah leak is in the trunk, I will do what you both said. I think these are good suggestions, thanks guy

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

I had the same problem too.
The water leakage was coming from ventilation "windows" under the rear lights (the black things in the photo), actually the leakage was from the ventilation's "windows" clip gaskets .

In the picture the part number 25
http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda ... k_03=11473

Another reason can be as said the guys the rear lights gaskets.
But I am sure 99% the problem is from ventilation's "windows"

jangz

Post by jangz »

Thanks for the pictures, I had no idea that could have been a potential issue there, will check soon as i get some time.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

My (suspended) EJ9 still has an unresolved leakage with water coming through the passenger feet carpet (LHD passenger I am talking about). Car will be torn down to get to the leakage anyhow, but perhaps somebody has a good idea were it comes from?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Dodo Bizar wrote:My (suspended) EJ9 still has an unresolved leakage with water coming through the passenger feet carpet (LHD passenger I am talking about). Car will be torn down to get to the leakage anyhow, but perhaps somebody has a good idea were it comes from?
I think the problem is from the ECU wire harness grommet that comes to interior form engine firewall.

part 2 on the picture

Or the problem can be from plastic plugs

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Darn... that's a good idea to take a look at. I modified it several times with all my wiring business and perhaps the tape I put around (made it pretty water tight I believe) has loosened a bit revealing one of the cuts I made in the rubber part to fit all the extra wiring through for my lambda/vtec/ignition OBD1 wires. It will be my prime suspect from now...

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

Hi Joris. Does your car have a sunroof? A classic cause of water ingress into the passenger/driver footwell is blocked/perished roof drains. Also check the condtion of the bodyshell around the windscreen, my car has corrosion issues in the steel above the screen.
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick any two - because you won't get all three!