Emmision troubles

Any issues? Discuss them here

Re: Emmision troubles

Post by 007 »

Joris, it sounds like the ECU is running the engine rich. have you tried repeating the test with a little bit of timing advance? are you running this engine on a stock ECU or a remapped one? any chance of gathering some AFR readings from a wideband sensor?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Don't bother. ECU was the first thing I looked at 3 years ago. It is not running rich. It's perfectly 14.7. I've had multiple wide band lambda probes in it, one is there permanently. I normally have a remapped ECU, but tried totally stock ECU and also have had 2 hour ECU mapping sessions with my eCtune tuner (CRX2) while at an emmisions tester. No my problem is much much more difficult to tackly, than some simple mapping.

Simply put, more fuel makes it only worse. Less fuel makes it only worse. More advance makes it worse. Less advance makes it worse. It's like the machine is loaded asymmetrical at low loads. Last week my MOT guy tested at 4000/4500 rpm, there the emmisions were pretty good he told me. It's just crap at the idle and 2500 rpm range... were we test at.

I have 2% unburnt O2, 300 to 600 ppm of unburnt HC. Hardly any oil consumption, no leaking head gasket. Compression is between 15.8 and 16.8. Ok there is a one bar diff at max, but that is normal factory diff if I am correct.

It's driving me nuts so to say...

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

Hi Joris, this is making my head rattle as well. Not something I've seen before. The compressions are within spec., the fuelling is checked out and I assume the exhaust is fine. Radical diagnostics looks like the the path to follow but if you don't have a gas analyser of your own it will be expensive. Can you read the lambda info in real time? I can post you a simple gas ecu with software that will enable you to monitor the lambda.
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick any two - because you won't get all three!

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ow I am able to log it real time with two applications parallel. I might just log for fun for you guys and post it here.

edit: no that is a lie. Only one applications works on my laptop right now (Zeitronix logger). The other was eCtune but the program is too heavy now and my laptop too old and slow.