Real Trailing Arm

Any issues? Discuss them here
mynameisowen

Real Trailing Arm

Post by mynameisowen »

Hello guys,

I need to replace my rear passenger side trailing arm bush, the bush has ripped out and bent my lower control arm which has slightly damaged my shock/spring at the same time. I am going to just swap the whole suspension corner into my car.

I'm going to go to a scrapyard to find a trailing arm and shock as i have a spare lower control arm.

I was thinking at the same time that I might do a drum-->disc conversion. If so is there any guidelines as what will fit my car? If i go to a scrapyard will any trailing arm with discs fit my car as long as the wheel stud pattern is 4x100? What do I need to consider with regard to handbrake? Whilst I'm there I may pick up spring/shocks from the same car I get trailing arm off. Will any combo from a 3 door civic fit?

I think only rule is not use MA/MB/MC civic components as they are 114x5 stud pattern IIRC. So any components from 3 door/coupe civic will fit my EJ9??

Thank for your help guys!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

BETEK

Re: Real Trailing Arm

Post by BETEK »

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I think i'm gonna swap the whole trailing arm to be safe (and easier). How easy is this BETEK, you did this for rear disc conversion right??
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

Acc3l3ratoR

Post by Acc3l3ratoR »

mynameisowen wrote:I think i'm gonna swap the whole trailing arm to be safe (and easier). How easy is this BETEK, you did this for rear disc conversion right??
you need the trailing arms with disks, brake hoses, the handbrake cables... if you have abs you will need to swap the proportioning valve too..(i didnd need it ..i dont have abs.. ;) )

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

mynameisowen wrote:I think i'm gonna swap the whole trailing arm to be safe (and easier). How easy is this BETEK, you did this for rear disc conversion right??
Yes I did the swap.
If you will work on jack-stands it will be little hard to access the handbrakes cable under the car but rather than this it is easy job.
If you will work on car lift it is a piece of cake the job.

* Optional
It is wise to have some suspension spare bolts (number 27 & 29). Might will be stuck due to rust.
part number for 27: 90171-SR3-003
part number for 29: 90173-SR3-003
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_ca ... k_03=11870

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Thanks guys. Luckily i have spares of 29, but no 27. I'll see how it goes. I will probably be working on stands in a scrapyard so that will be fun... :?

I'll let you know how I get on :)
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.