Driver's side axle bushing failure

Any issues? Discuss them here
saxophonias

Driver's side axle bushing failure

Post by saxophonias »

This is a d-series ek driver's axle shaft. My problem is that the bushing that you can see as circled in the image keeps breaking. I have changed it twice so far. I suspect that after excessive body movement it touches somewhere and breaks. I generally know that this is meant for balancing the axle. However i haven't noticed any vibrations in the steering so far. I got it for free at the first place from a used axle but now i was thinking of not replacing it again. Are there any side effects on that? My car used to be a lot jumpy at high speeds but after installing bigger swaybars this has been reduced drastically.

Many guys have told me that this is only for comfort. I haven't seen any side effect so far. It's not on for 6 months now.
Does anyone have the same problem?

See how it is.

hondaNickx

Re: Driver's side axle bushing failure

Post by hondaNickx »

I've found some pictures when i installed my EK9 swaybars and it seems that the bushing is on the wrong side of the axle.These are my Stock D14 axles .

I think that's why it keeps breaking most likely your suspension arm will hit it.I always remember that bushing when doing an oil change it's beneath the oil filter...
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

:shock: :shock: i was sure that this was it's right place! Can anyone else verify its place please?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I think Nick is right, just check the the first pictures you have posted. The bushing is clearly at the gearbox side of the shaft in those pics. And if I take a look at your EJ9 you placed it more to the wheel is it? As for my own EJ9 I can't remember, but my EK9 has the bushing right on the spot were the exhaust mounting point sits... it even touched once I believe in my EJ1. But as far as I can tell, Nick is right.

Btw I saw a pair of driving shafts mounted in a EJ9 lately with those bushings on both the drivers and passenger side. Origin of the shafts is unknown to me, perhaps EJ6 and/or auto tranny.

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

saxophonias wrote::shock: :shock: i was sure that this was it's right place! Can anyone else verify its place please?

today a have re-instaled the de-cat and I remember to take a picture:

the right place is closer to the gear box.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

thanks man! i'll look into it ;)

Law_

Post by Law_ »

After the muffler mod, i've seen mine bushing near the oil filter. Just on that side. I've also taken a photo but my camera is not with me right now. Cheers

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Did you rebuild the axle?
It seems that shaft is putted wrong between the joints.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

No i didn't rebuilt it for 3rd time :roll: I got the chance to have a closer look to it again, it seems that there are different axles because in mine the bushing's place is the one i used to think. There is a certain position that the bushing bolts and in mine it's in the opposite position to yours guys. :roll: I don't think i am wrong on this one. Maybe someone from Greece paid a closer look to his? :roll:

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Production error?