D13Y8

Discussion and Tuning of any other Honda
Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: D13Y8

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Spark plug reading... auch. I think the problem here is the plugs have only been used for small distances, so hard to tell. Real errors come only with some mileage I think.

I am a little bit guessing, but in the first real I agree the mixture might have been lean ... I think I can see some deposits in the insulator. But I aint an expert, want to stress that. The second real... well has a bit too much exposure perhaps to really judge. I guess it looks ok. But... in both reals the base of the ground seems awkward, looks like old oil deposits, have you used the plugs before the current days of testing? Seems like they have been on the car longer. Also in the second real, second picture, near the base of the ground you can see white deposits, also a sign of oil problems or bad fuel.

Grade 7 btw is really cold for this engine, that is normal for B-series under high stress. Perhaps grade 6 has a better burn. I still run grade 6 on my 9.5 CR D14, and they always look nice even after 50.000 km.

Thanks for the info about the Vbox, 10Hz GPS, great technology these days.

Post by 007 »

ha ha. I suck at taking pictures Joris.

yes, the Super 4 plugs arent brand new. they have been running in the car for a while now. I didnt have smooth emery paper to clean the soot rings so did the best I could with some very rough paper and replaced them. yeah the pictures are overexposed but I do see a definite improvement in the color.

the deposits are just carbon from fuel forming another layer. my old build had oil consumption problems. this one has 0 oil on the plugs.

for the higher compression, I reckon the plug heat rating is alright. at sea level, I have a dry cold cranking compression of 220 psi on average give or take 5 psi. that is quite high for a 1.3. hence the colder plugs. I had arrived at a static CR of around 10:1. you still recommend 6?

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

The electro charge distribution from a one ground is faster than the four ground so there is a difference.
Besides four grounds are tough but herd for heavier cars and bigger engines .
I see them spark plugs too hot.. Maybe the pic is too bright.

But THerz the denso spark plug which I hear is the best too.

Post by 007 »

sktaroins wrote:The electro charge distribution from a one ground is faster than the four ground so there is a difference.
Besides four grounds are tough but herd for heavier cars and bigger engines .
I see them spark plugs too hot.. Maybe the pic is too bright.

But THerz the denso spark plug which I hear is the best too.
the second set of pics is bright because it was taken at night so the flash came on. overexposed like Joris said.

the reason I am switching back to the single ground strap NGKs is because the multiple ground straps get in the way of the expanding flame front and impede combustion.

the stock spark plugs from the factory were Densos however I have heard some bad things about the ones available off the shelf. NGKs seem to be the universal choice.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

007 wrote: the stock spark plugs from the factory were Densos however I have heard some bad things about the ones available off the shelf. NGKs seem to be the universal choice.
Indeed, the code for Denso is K20PR-U11 they are equivalent to BKR5E-11 and BKR6E-11.
But for many people the NGK has better quality

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

Now sure most use NGK but Denso for example in a d15b7 a bit bigger than the d13y8 use those spark plugs as stock.

But the NGK ARE GOOD AS DENSO even at high heat u will see by urself that the connecting tip of the ground of the Denso is flat. But for the NGK IS POINTED so can melt easily.
The Denso on the other hand can be brushed again and re used...!

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

BKRE6-11 are GOOD for d15b7 but not iridum spark plugs.
BKRE5-11 are the ones for d13y8 but as for the load and mods of his engine 007 will feel that the iridium spark plugs are easy while putting them and soft when removing them. Simply bcoz they are a bit lighter than the BKRE5-11
So he will need to check with the BKRE5-11 FIRST and use them for a while and on a second trial he will check with the iridium sparkplugs.. Only then he feel the notice that maybe both are not really doing well.

I think he will need to put the BKRE6-11 ONE TIME any not change them ..
But if he at some stage add more power to his engine then he needs to go back to his boche plugs
4grounds....!.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

BETEK wrote: I recommend to use iridium spark plugs, NGK ones are the best, code for d13 (and for many applications too) is BKR6EIX-11
Image Image
Iridium ones will last more and perform better than regular spark plugs

Post by 007 »

^ true. the pointed electrode tip also helps increase spark voltage by concentrating a large number of electrons in a smaller surface area. while regular electrodes will quickly wear off, iridium electrodes last longer.

Post by 007 »

just for some kicks, Ive asked my part shop guy to get a set of BKR6E-11s Joris. I will give them a shot and if they end up cleaner than the 7Es then Ill get the same 6 rating plugs in Iridium.

in other news, wasted two days trying to find out why the IACV would not compensate for the AC load, tried everything in NepTune, even connected an oscilloscope to the ECU to see if the IACV was receiving signal, etc. before realizing that everything was the result of a tiny oversight. see if you can spot it. :P

once that was sorted, everything else has begun to run better. the engine feels better with less fuel and less timing, deceleration fuel cut is engaging like it should... feels much better overall. for the time being I have disabled VTEC and limited the engine to 4500 RPM so that I dont get the temptation to floor it randomly. all that will be lifted once all the missing links in my tuning equipment arrive and I get a proper tune.