D13Y8

Discussion and Tuning of any other Honda

Re: D13Y8

Post by 007 »

saxophonias wrote:ok so it's normal weight, normal tyres (a bit wide) maybe the speedometer confuses me. As for the time laps of the magazine, they refer to real speed not the km you see on the speedo. Also bear in mind that the d14a4 engines have the loooooong 4rth gear and they are underpowered in comparison to yours so maybe this explains the difference.
Do you experience any flaws form the light flywheel? You must have the d16 clutch combo right?
I don't trust my speedo either. hence the VBox. it doesn't get more accurate than that for street cars. :)
could you by any chance find out what the D14's gear ratios are?
[edit]
nevermind. found them.
1------3,250:1
2------1,909:1
3------1,250:1
4------0,909:1
5------0,702:1
final gear ratio--4,058

these seem to be exactly the same as the gear ratios that came in 1.5L engines here. 2nd gear is shorter and the FD is taller. other ratios are identical. the blue graph you see in the comparison is the same gearbox as your D14A4 and 1.5L engine. I plan to be switching to one of these boxes soon so that I can cruise better. it should be interesting to see how that affects acceleration times.
[/edit]

the flywheel hasn't caused me any problems except the revs dropping a bit quicker when I press the clutch. not a big deal. the flywheel studs and bolt spacing is meant for the D16 clutch combo but I didn't know that when I purchased it. found out that my clutch plate and pressure plate diameter was smaller. so I had the pressure plate centered with the flywheel and new holes drilled and tapped to match my clutch.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

If you are going to replace a gearbox read the right topics in order to be sure. The d14a4 box isn't the perfect one but it can be if you swap the 4.4 fd and the 4rth gear from d14a8. A good solution is the d13b gearbox of civic egs too.

Post by 007 »

saxophonias wrote:If you are going to replace a gearbox read the right topics in order to be sure. The d14a4 box isn't the perfect one but it can be if you swap the 4.4 fd and the 4rth gear from d14a8. A good solution is the d13b gearbox of civic egs too.
I did do a lot of research on the topic of gearboxes. was running a D14A4 gearbox with a 4.7 FD previously. it was fine for a while but I soon got sick of keeping the revs up to be at cruising speed on the highway. listening to that constant drone for hundreds of kilometers becomes very irritating very quickly.

the other option here is to swap the 4.25 FD into the D14A4 gearbox. almost everyone I know who has done that has ended up with a broken gearbox because of improper installation of the FD. this is the reason why I've decided to take no chances and keep factory reliability sealed in a box and not do any mixing and matching. the other option will be to import a gearbox and that will probably cost more than what I paid for the car. :D

going taller from a 4.25 FD to a 4.05 FD will give me more peaceful cruising which is high on my list of priorities. the WOT acceleration runs are very few and far between, so I don't take that into account when I look at a gearbox.

the way I see it, torque at the wheel [T] = torque made by engine [E] * torque multiplication by the gearbox [G]

you can increase T by increasing either E and / or G. increasing G will impose a top speed penalty and require you to rev higher at any given speed. I want to decrease G and increase E eventually. hope that makes sense.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

* Mechanical efficiency of all gear reductions! haha ;)

This is a great thread full of information and good discussion, nice to see.

007 what software do you use for personal mapping? I'm thinking of getting a mappable ECU and then creating a basemap myself over some time whilst keeping the "normal" D14 ECU incase of any problems. Have you got any resources I could use for info?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Post by 007 »

Owen, I use NepTune running on a Demon emulator attached to a chipped OBD1 ECU. tuning on your own is not hard at all as long as you don't try to get too greedy and push things without understanding what you are doing.

to be able to swap between your D14 and an OBD1 ECU, you need to build a conversion harness yourself since there are none available off the shelf. you can start off by reading my thread on D Series here: http://www.d-series.org/forums/audio-el ... i-ecu.html

feel free to ask if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by "chipped" ECU? Are you talking about a service similar to what Law is offering here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=789
?

The terminology confuses me to be honest. I need an ECU that is going to be able to handle VTEC in the future, I have a P06 at the moment ready for modifying. I will be doing an OBD1 conversion to enable me to run this ECU (and VTEC). What do I need to physically do to my P06 ECU to allow me to modify the maps on it using my own computer? Also what cables/datalogging devices are necessary to do this? Also could you provide a list of software that I could use to do this (so I can do some research into prices, etc.)?

In the end I want to be able to slowly tech myself how to tune my car which is something I've always been interested in.

Thanks for your time. :)
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

Post by 007 »

go through all the links on this page. they contain all the information you need.

http://support.moates.net/tag/demon/

a "chipped" ECU is one where some additional components and a memory chip containing modified maps, etc. are added. the Moates Demon is an emulator which eliminates the need for a chip that has to be constantly removed and replaced everytime you need to change something.

there are a bunch of softwares you can use.

http://www.tunewithcrome.com/
http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/category/neptune
http://www.ectune.com/
http://www.hondata.com/s300.html

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Thanks for the info, this "chipping" is it the same service as what Law is offering that I mentioned in the post above?
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

Post by 007 »

yes.