Honda Prelude

Discussion and Tuning of any other Honda
mynameisowen

Honda Prelude

Post by mynameisowen »

Hi guys,

Now that I can actually afford things ( :lol: ) I've got my eyes set on a Honda Prelude, 5th gen 98+ with the H22A8 200hp 2.2L VTEC with 4 wheel steering. They go for between £1-2.5k depending on spec and quality. The type S from Japan with 220hp and LSD can cost around £2K+ so are quite affordable but lack 4WS which I really want to try out.

I've always been a massive Prelude fan and it will be nice to have something more refined and comfortable and good looking for daily drive to work, and noone can say no to 200hp!

Plan is to keep the civic and keep as a project car/weekend car. Will strip it out and make the handling good fun. Car is worth much more to me than its sell price (~£500) so no point in selling.

Any ideas or things I should look out for when buying one?

Anyone ever driven or been in one?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

sktaroins

Re: Honda Prelude

Post by sktaroins »

yeah i agree with you there bruv, I always had a look for prelude - they look good but not a fan of it though - a del sol would look way much hotter as it has the convertable like our freind here the one with the blue del sol from france ... such a sweet ride. prelude are good and they look classy as they have this business look but ild go for a sportive look :)

you need to see the market for spare parts and if in ur country exist many preludes - then yeah go for it but if not then hold ur horses. H22 are quite big and consumptious there fella especially with 200hp - wel if the distance to work is near by then yeah why not but if its far ,,personally i wouldnt like to use it for daily use if the distance was far. if u have the time to fix ur car on ur own .. which i believe that u wont once u start working ...unless ur working in auto mechanics company that would be great. other wise thats rubbish -
a del sol would be more oriented and a lady magnetizer lol ..

preludes are more for boys ride - preludes in stock suck somehow but then you will need to add some lips and some mackyage to it haha sory for the term there but i meant body kit and stuff like that but sill it would look like a boyz look totaly - del sol would look more presentable for sure mate. its much lighter and the view in driving is much simplier than the prelude where u have to either lift the seats up in order to view the roads..

and definietly in the uk - you wouldnt want to be sinking in ur chair to drive and ill be on the other side barely seeing ur skull - total no for me - i have been in it and somehow i dont like how well they both dont match both the engine and the car arent for each other - a b18 is nice in a prelude though - feels much lighter and healthier. Get urself a clean del sol - paint should be metallic pearl light gray or in simple sky blue or dark blue.
not black and not red.

or i would highly suggest you to do ur car and get the heck out of it - bring it back with a new touch or mugen style lip some sort of new light body kit with probably a head sun roof top - work on it and get it done if u have the budget and if u do - MODIFY UR BABY CAR ENGINE ENTIRIOR EXTERIOR - something wicked bruv.

lolz i got you there mate - close one eye for now and imagine with the other or close both and look at ur current one and see what u can get out of it - im sure u have some nice touches to it.

cheers

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

the ludes are great! They used to be the cars that honda put all its effort on. Setright used to have one!

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Thanks for replies. Prelude's are relatively rare in this coutry but I see that as a good thing. About as common or less so than a del sol. Del sol's are okay but personaly I prefer the CRX before it. They are cool though. I want a lude because it has great features in the 4WS and 200hp + it looks great in my opinion + I've always had a soft spot for them + it's a Honda =P

I know what you mean about fuel economy and mileage but I will move closer to work next year (when girlfriend finishes uni in Summer), + I dont really car about car being a girl magnet! A car that the average woman thinks is pretty is not the car for me! :lol: Hence the English phrase "Hairdressers Car" for things like the MX5, del sol, Z3/4, etc. :mrgreen:

I want a sports coupe, I wanted a S14/15 but they go for rediculous prices because of the drifters. 300ZX is nice and relatively cheap but very rare and probably not in good condition. Preludes are a nice balance. Prelude seems to tick all the boxes.

+ if I can get 50mpg out of my d14 then 35+ out of a prelude should be too dificult =P
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I hope it doesn't have ridiculously high insurance fees.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Not too bad to be honest, it's 1800 for just me but if I put my girlfriend on it it drops to 1100 which is not much more than I pay on my EJ9!
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

archyman

Post by archyman »

geee..is that for one year? And i thought i spend a lot for insurance here...100E
Anyway the Prelude is cool. It may be heavy and it burns a lot of cash but its a proper sport Honda.
If i had the choice i would get the 4ws version, for sure. This car takes corners like crazy 8-)

jangz

Post by jangz »

The Prelude is a wonderful car, I drove this on track at Castle Combe 2.2 4ws vtec and it kept up with all the Type R and Hybrid Swaps. Its so mature in the way it feels, so refined and solid and its sad how underrated and over looked this car is. The prelude is cheap as chips these days but the only thing that puts me off this car or any car is the cost of running, tax and insurance LOL. If you can afford it the go for it, the car has a lot of potential and it has a great style to it. I don't believe its 200bhp right out the box, more like 180ish but great torque.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

the four wheel system drive how does it feel? We have no info or test drive about it. In Greece there are only a few imports.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

The H22A5 "black top" engine has 185hp but the 1998+ H22A8 "red top" engine has 200hp from stock ;)

Running costs will be higher but not massively higher than my car. I can afford it if I live closer to work (which I will) I currently commute 100 miles a day so just halfing this will cover the extra cost of a 'lude.

Thanks for the opinions guys, what you are saying really confirms what I want out of the car! :D

Anyone want to post a review after having driven one?
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.