crankcase gases

What works for real, what doesn't
ilya

crankcase gases

Post by ilya »

Hello
I learned one useful thing, "oil catch tank". I think that this is a very useful device for our cars.
In my intake manifold, I saw that the entire interior of BLACK! how so? through it as soon as the air goes, but I saw an oil deposit on the walls.

is the whole problem of crankcase gases from the Cylinder Head flexible blue hose goes directly to the intake manifold (I'm talking about pictures on the main page of DU). I think it is very wrong.

and this solution:

Anybody use it?
Do you think it realy good?
Last edited by ilya on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

hondaNickx

Re: crankcase gases

Post by hondaNickx »

I was thinking of using the same thing for my future setup.
It uses a water filter for a compressed air instalation.It also filters oil from the crankcase vapors.It works ,i've seen someone use it before .
Is this somekind of kit you found somewhere ?
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

I found this situation to when I research for the connections for the IM swap.

found the PCV valve, positive crankcase ventilation. the first problem that I think is exactly this one, the second is in turbo situation...

but for this one, down the IM, that is a small black box, and I was read somewhere that do the job similar an oil catch can.

if someone can explain this I will be glad too!

ilya

Post by ilya »

hondaNickx wrote:Is this somekind of kit you found somewhere ?

I just see it first time, in our Russian forum. just example. maybe you know better model? becose someone sell it for 60$ and it from china. i think is not good.

good idea, not good model.
SquirtAndSpark wrote:if someone can explain this I will be glad too!

black box at the bottom of IM? Perhaps this camera breather. it solves the problem, but I think in part. yeah it catch oil, but no fully.

I proposed catch "oil fog". It can stay on the IM-walls, and go to Engine block again. and this is will affect the quality of a mixture of air and gasoline.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

The oem system has 2 ways of extracting those pressures.

1) is the black box on the back of the engine.It's a box with some baffles inside and it works similar to a catch tank.

2) is the valve cover plug that has a metal plate on the inside of the valve cover with several small holes in them.That also works in sucking out crankcase vapors from the valve train.

System 1 works with the PCV valve ,when the intake manifold is under vacuum the 1-way pcv valve opens and sucks in vapors from the black box .

System 2 is hooked up to the intake pipe or airbox and sucks off gasses the second the throttle body plate opens up.

Both of these systems work with vacuum.
All i would do is place in some water filters in between the oem system to keep oil out of the intake system.The best crankcase vapor extracting system is vacuum.That's why many racing cars often use vacuum pumps.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

so, we can just put one of these after the pcv valve:

and see how fast it will get dirty :D

RenÉK

Post by RenÉK »

OEM Honda made on the backside of the engine under the water circuit a blockoff plug. A friend of mine did find a OEM piece on the EPC that is used for oil cooling, wich I'm going to use to neutralize the crankcase gases.

Hihi, it's hard to explain... I'll make a pic of it tomorrow ;)

I do hope that OEM thingy will help enough otherwise im going to get
some weld bungs in the valve cover.

But I'm not going to feed the engine with polluted air..
It's going right into a catch can.

I know some people that had to findout to late.. Did cost them some extra oil...

Law_

Post by Law_ »

i just covered the hole on the IM. the pipe from the head goes right to the ground. it almost does not drop. cheers

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Isn't that a water plug under your water coolant pipe ?
As far as i can see it comes out directly into your surrounding cylinder walls .I was thinking of using that to hook up my oem Heat exchanger/oil cooler.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Since I just opened up my inlet due to the crash, I found that THIS time the valve cover hose hardly poluted the inlet. Got it a few years now. Normally TB's are black from polution in front of the butterfly valve, I only got it aft of it from the PCV.

But generally speaking, you get more and safer power when you can remove these poluting circuits by using catch-cans etc. I should still do it myself.