Bad Fuel Consumption!!!

What works for real, what doesn't
BETEK

Re: Bad Fuel Consumption!!!

Post by BETEK »

Awesome fuel consumption :shock: :P
692 km with 40 liters is very good numbers.
So you had 5.78 liters consumption for every 100 km

And if you want to reduce further the consumption, you can put narrower tires and lower suspension

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

nice! I have achieved similar numbers (and even a bit lower) but only in the summer, as cold starts play the key role here. Still i cannot drive in full eco mode due to my impatience to slightly press the throttle :roll:

lelouchvi

Post by lelouchvi »

That is amazing fuel comsumption!!. I just refill now to the same as before I had my exhaust fitted which has a hole for the second sensor. Last time it did 136 miles for 20 pound of fuel (15.5 litre of fuel). I hope this run will be more than that =]

jangz

Post by jangz »

LOL due to the recent petrol prices in the UK, my impatience went straight out the window so I couldn't afford to be in vtec, plus before this I was only getting 22 MPG... that was killing me and its was worse than a 2 liter car.

Lowering is on my list to do, also planning to go a lil further with other mods but I will try and get them sorted before I talk about them and I will test and then post.

Day to day driving is not as slow as i thought, yeah sure its a little more chilled out but I feel so happy with the results its now become a personal game to beat my next record ^_^ always good to look forward to something.

Im still planning to turbo, but have been speaking to the dyno tuners about part throttle (lean tune/eco tune) and 4 and 5 gear eco tune and the rest to be a beast and was given confident advise that they could arrange something along them lines to meet n/a ish spec if driven smart which is nice to have.

"Displacement on Demand"

Soon as I get to see better results will keep everyone posted and hope to start the other eco mods sometime soon.
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

man you owe us some videos to see the pull in the vtec zone :)

in Rethymno- Crete with 20euros i put 11lit of petrol :shock: which is 1.82 per liter... with 11lt i cover something around 170km (6.5lt) in combined route and with not very eco friendly driving. I like reving high in the 2 first gears.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Note to self: request picture of dizzy when in doubt of proper timing.

Hehehehehe :twisted:

To all others having doubts: there is a small flat nobly thing at one end of the dizzy. The flat side of this thing should be pointed downward, having the flat part lined up horizontally with the engine except for the slight amount of retard or advance the car needs...

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Great news that you've got it fixed and on your mpg record, best ive gotten is 440 miles on a tank :)

I just thought I would contribute a small bit since I'm studying Motorsport Engineering in college and my dissertion will be related to engines and fuel economy.

We tested a 1.6 direct injection modern mini engine on a rig and measured the fuel consumption from cold start all the way up to operating temperature on low load (low revs and dyno load) to get a slow warm up and the results were astonishing. Considering this an extremely modern engine with all sorts of gimmicky coolant and injector technologies the fuel consumption at low temperature was 4x higher than at operating temperature.

FOUR TIMES HIGHER!

When you consider that engines are only ~30% thermally efficient (we measured up to 25% in this engine) that £1 you spend on fuel translates to only 25p being used to move the wheels.

Consider our 1996 engines with relatively retro technology and the importance of careful driving whilst your engine is warming up is very important. Apart from the obvious hazard of wear whilst your engine is cold you will be using more than 4 times as much fuel!

In summary for good m/g km/l:
*Reduce vehicle mass (Acceleration=Force/Mass)
*On the motorway travel slower when time is not important (drag increases with the square of velocity)
*On cold start make sure that you drive economically (low revs; be patient; don't drive fast up hills!)
*Combine trips so that the engine is started as little as possible from cold (almost all of engine wear is created on cold start as well)

Once warm though..... rinse the VTEC!!!!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Correct observations and useful tips ;) :)
Especially in cold days warming up the engine will save money

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

good tips! What makes the fuel consumption rises though in cold starts? the rich mixture or the increased advance? If we could tune the ecus for the 1st minutes to be leaner and with less advance (timing) what would be the pros and cons?

jangz

Post by jangz »

I'm really starting to like this thread, Owen thanks for your advise I totally agree but ddaaaayyymmmnnn 4 time as much??? blurry elll man LOL.

I been reading about hypermiler driving and its what I have been doing but not as extreme as some, it defiantly helps for sure. In fact when I re-calculated my mpg (I did a little more miles until I actually filled up recently) and got 49.2 mpg.

I totally agree the cold start on my car, revs to about 2, 2.5k rpm. Some say in winter they tape of (block) some part of their radiator so the car warms up quicker. Also some do a grill block for both aero dynamics and keeping the engine bay warm.

saxophonias that is a very good question you posted, I would really like to find out about that too? Any one got an answer for that? I'm going to get my turbo tuned (when fitted) with an economy tune on part throttle which would be leaner. Can the timing be changed for a duration via ecu tuning?

"Coasting is key to saving fuel"
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X