Fuel economy

What works for real, what doesn't
mynameisowen

Fuel economy

Post by mynameisowen »

So I've been filling up my car with 20L of fuel everytime. Also since I started measuring I have left the "trip-mileage-counter-thing" going.

After 120L I have driven ~1300mi=2 092km

Sooo there are 4.55L's in a Gallon....

120/4.55=26.37 Gallon

.... mpg=1300/26.37=49.3

:mrgreen:
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

saxophonias

Re: Fuel economy

Post by saxophonias »

good!!!
As for me with the a/c on and the car heavily loaded, traveling on the open road with 120-140km/h it consumed 7lt/100km. On the highway i have seen 5-6lt as a typical consumption. The difference in winter though is massive. It needs considerably more fuel.

jangz

Post by jangz »

Cool man, I managed to get 49.2 MPG, lol you must have been G Cruzin it and coasting it every where right? Granny Gangsta Cruzing is the best yo!!!
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Update just reached 49.8mpg. Soooo close to the big 5-O.

My driving is very much mixed between motorway (60mph ftw) and city, although over summer I expect to do more city dirving =( Does anyone know what the normal fuel economy ratings are for the EJ9??
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

jangz

Post by jangz »

Yeah its factory stated at 40mpg I beleive, someone correct me if Im wrong.

LOL its good to see your getting some good numbers, I seem to have a new challange. This hyper-miler stuff is addictive and so chilled out.

Really hope you get to the 50 mark. Any special techniques you added to get where you are other than the standard stuff like coasting? any new point you noticed when shifting, coasting, drafting, slowing down in gear and out of gear?

When my car starts and is chucking in fuel i put it into gear and dont press the gas lol whiles its still warming up it drives for me almost in an Automatic style so that im not adding to it or wasting what is being thrown in put it to 3rd gear and it gets good speed (slow but enough).
Liberate our minds by any means necessary - Malcom X

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I just reached 43.1 mpg (UK gallon I suppose?) with the B16B (1:15.3 in liter:km)... which is my all time record by far. Got a 'special' ECU mounted in order to pass MOT finally after 3 years of struggling... think I got the problem solved. But it means for the time being not revving past 4000 rpm... that's why I drove my record now :mrgreen: .

On a downside I hardly am able to reach 120 km/h...

The ECU I am driving? Bone stock P06... ignition timing was just right and I never drive WOT to prevent detonation.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

To be honest Im quite surprised by how little effort I have to put in to achieve good results. It just must be my natural drive style as I have always driven like this since I passed my test.

Also I dont really use any coasting what so ever. I just leave the car in gear since then the engine isnt idling as its being driven by the wheels. I make as much use of hills as possible by driving quite slowly up them and often coasting over the crest of them and then putting my foot down going down the hill (I see it as free speed =P). I'm pretty religous with my shift point. In all gears I shift at 2.5k rpm except for 1->2 where I sometimes go higher if there are people behind me or I need to make lights or something!!

The hardest thing is timing when to let of the gas and roll in gear up to lights. If you let off too early people get pissed and if you leave it too late then your wasting fuel (and have to use your brakes more). I use a lot of engine braking to slow down so my brakes last for ever!

The biggest thing is just having patience and I think thats what people find hardest, everyone thinks that its all just a rush to 30mph especially if the road is clear ahead. If the road is clear ahead for me its the best because I think YES time to chill =P. Every so often you get some tailgaters but I never drive so slow as to piss people off, they are just normally in a rush.

My favourite speed is 35mph, cruising at 1.5k rpm in 5th gear, feels so good =P
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Bunch of hippies :mrgreen: .

I am just silly ;). Love a good mileage myself to. But I must say I had to (btw it was my girl who pointed it out) rev a little higher. I always tend to drive 80 km/h in 5th gear. Since more than half my home-work route lies on 80 km/h roads (roughly 50 mph) she told me to use 4th gear instead since the engine revs are too low otherwise.

Doing so saved me more than 1km per liter and I finally managed to get my old mileage which I had years ago (but back then I drove 120 km/h road mostly, not 80!). I even had one fill up of about 1:16.5 doing so, very close to my all time record since I installed the VTEC cam.

So point of the story, don't shift too soon. It seems best to keep partial throttle so the lambda sensor does its job. Don't go into full throttle (WOT). But rev a little more.

Doing so my current average mileage of the my D14A3 went from 1:14.5 to 1:15.5.

The bone stock D14A4 of my girl can also get close to 1:16 driven good. However on a bad day with a bit too much WOT and too low revs (my girl often falls back in a rythm of early shifts combined with WOT) it seems to drop to 1:14 (liter:km).

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

this is so true!I think it's better to have stable throttle up to 15% and rev some more than to try have the higher gear. I can see with my apexi that if i drive slightly uphill with 80km e.g. in 4rth gear i use let's say 15% throttle but in order to maintain the same speed with 5th gear i need to press the pedal to 25% for example. This means more gas. On the other hand when i drive in a straightline or downhill i use 5th in same conditions. The % of throttle helps me drive economically.

as for me i drove 500km on the highway 2 passengers with luggage and a/c on, almost all the time moving from 80 to 150km/h but mainly more than 110 and i needed 6,8lt/100km

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

saxophonias wrote:The % of throttle helps me drive economically.
And I use my ZT2 display to do exactly the same. Though I generally look at the MAP expressed in volts... driving economically I always like to stay beneath 2.00 V. (~0.5 is close to pure vacuum and 2.9 is normal ambient pressure in the Netherlands... though in the Alps I once saw 2.0 V was ambient, up in Davos at 2 km).