Auto Oil Vs Motorcycle oil

What works for real, what doesn't
Power of Vtec

Auto Oil Vs Motorcycle oil

Post by Power of Vtec »

what's your opinion about that? using Motorcycle oil.
a Motorcycle engine, takes more stress, so the oils wouldn't be better?
i'm thinking going BEL-RAY EXS
"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".

BETEK

Re: Auto Oil Vs Motorcycle oil

Post by BETEK »

I don't think that is a good idea.
The working style between these motors is different and as you can imagine oil specifications too.
Because the main difference between oils are additives. And sometimes the base oil too.
So car engine's oil has different additives than motorcycle's one.

And why you want to pay more for motorcycle oil?
You can buy many different specs oil that made especially for cars.

From my experience I can say that 5w/40 grade oil is the best option for our EJ9s. There are many brands that have 5w/40 oils. Just choose one that you like.

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

for the ENEOS i'm using i pay 55E. i don't think BEL-RAY will cost much more.
Motorcycle oils ca protect both motor and transmition, so may be better under stress
"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

this has to be tested theoritically and practically. I am completely unaware but i think your point is since it is good for extremely high revving engines why not be equally good for engines. Then again you need to see what is going on with the difference in working temperatures (due to more friction?) and the bigger surface that it will have to cover. Don't know man just don't risk it ;) What do the americans say on that? And remember, in these days of financial crisis don't waste more than 40euros in oil. And keep it more :mrgreen:

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I dont think this is a good idea. The engines operate very differently and as such are designed completely different. Would not recommend!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

is it better using API SG instead of API SM?
SG has high level for zincs and phosphorus,which is good.
latest car oils (SM) are very low in these additives.
SG car olis don't exist any more
motorcycle oils are API SG. my car manual recommends SG,too.
so......why can be worst for my engine??

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Unless someone confirms this with a proper engine over many miles of use then you cant be sure it wont reduce the health of your engine. Think about it this way: Motorcycle engines are used at much higher RPM, so the viscocity of the oil is going to be low compared to car oil. Oil viscocity is proportional (related) to temperature (a type of oil that is always a certain viscocity doesnt exist).

If a type of oil is meant to b x thick at 10000 rpm (for a motorbike engine). The same oil in a car engine will be too thin. If you put oil that is too thin in your car it will not be thick enough to properly lubricate and you can have engine damage. You need oil that is thick enough for when you start the car and thin enough not too drag too much at mid-high speeds.

I'm sure there is some oils that can be used in both and I'm sure some people have done it before and it works. However I havn't heard of it and I dont want you to damage your engine.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

i changed my oil today and filter (small hamp).
TORCO stopped using the MPZ additive in the motorycle T4SR oil and so
i chose the TORCO SR-1 10w40 with MPZ .

Modified

Post by Modified »

Me and my dad i have been using silkolene motorcycle oil on all our cars, for more than 8 years now.
We newer had a problem.

:-)