LPG

What works for real, what doesn't
hondamake

LPG

Post by hondamake »

I would like to contribute some info about running LPG, this seemed the place to do it. Over the coming weeks I will post photos, info and tips on strategy and possibilities. Wafch this space!
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick any two - because you won't get all three!

BETEK

Re: LPG

Post by BETEK »

You welcome to transfer your knowledge about the LPG, also to post photos and what is need for best presentation of your articles.

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

my ecu tuner suggested me also cz he says " honda engines are better to run with excelent quality of unleaded , so since u cant afford every time for good fuel , lpf is a good solution and with obd1 the extra piggy bank runs perfect , u always a full tank of power unleaded and in city u run lpg , also great torque in low to mid "
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

Your tuner is right on every point. The real bonus in the UK is much lower, less than 50%, fuel prices. At the weekend I will post some info on LPG installs. :geek:

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

Right guys - pay attention, I'm going to attempt to give you some quite detailed info on installing/running LPG. Forgive me if I appear patronising or over simplistic I will assume good tech knowhow and zero LPG knowledge. Don't hesitate to post questions, having 5 sons I'm familiar with satisfying inquisitive minds! :) .
All automotive installs can be divided in two: Front end and rear end. Rear ends are all broadly similar; tank and valvework, filler and pipework and the pipe connecting to the front end.
I'll concentrate on engine strategies first.

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

2 ways of getting gas (being in the biz it's always gas - not LPG/propane, confusing if you buy gasoline) into an engine, either multipoint injection or by a mixer into the throttle body. The simplest is a mixer fed by a vapouriser, some photos of a typical mixer.
The mixer is a simple venturi fed with gas at just above atmospheric pressure much like an early carb. As air flows through a venturi (restriction) it's speed increases and the pressure drops. This will draw gas into the throttle body on demand, simple, but like a carb it is not a precise instrument.

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

You can use a mixer on most normally aspirated engines, it is difficult and pointless using a mixer with forced induction. Two strategies with a mixer either open or closed loop. Open loop is reliant solely upon engine demand, a cheap and cheerful solution - eBay will provide everything you need for £100/£120. Closed loop employs a stepper motor valve between the vapouriser and mixer controlled by a simple ECU which reads TPS, RPM and lambda O2. £120 new but you will need a computer lead, software and laptop to set it up. By the time you get there it is worth considering an injection system, between £250 and whatever they think that they can get away with. I'll cover injection in a later post.

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

nice info here!

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ah, now I understand why my friend with a Saab 9000 turbo has LPi. It simply would not work with a vaporiser, clear.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Great, looking forward to the rest :D
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete