Turbo Projects

When forced induction is your style
sktaroins

Re: Turbo Projects

Post by sktaroins »

nah brah negative - i did understand - but i was suggsting as to why they cracked :)

novaksaotome

Post by novaksaotome »

Acc3l3ratoR wrote:the stock map only suports 8 psi of positive preasure...
if i am right
this has nothing to do with my problem. My map sensor is a GM one that holds 21 psi ;), and OEM one is supposed to be good for 11 psi. 8-)

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

Is it just me or is no boddy running with aftermarket preformance pistons/Crankshafts en sutch? Or is this just not pssible on a d14 engine?

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

It is possible but expensive.
Many people thinking that if they give such amount of money for D14s with same money they can build B-series with more power!
As I know there is no aftermarket crankshaft for D14s, but all other stuff are available on the market.
If someone has enough money he can build any custom part, such as rods, crankshafts, pistons etc.

archyman

Post by archyman »

As far as i know turboing on a stock internals engine is ok up to 0.3-0.5 bar if the condition of latter is good. In fact most of the times there is no need of adding forged components, turbo valves, block guards and so on if the setup is done properly and the HEAT is treated with great caution.
Most of the cranked engines are due to bad heat management rather than the forces created from the increased torque.

mr kawa

Post by mr kawa »

Oke so you need specific parts sich as pistons instead of using d15 d16 stuff

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

The pistons are interchangeable between the D-series.
Also some others stuff are interchangeable too!!
But you have to be specific in order we can help you!
Please if you want read some threads in this forum and I think many questions will answered itself.
I suggest to start from here if you want
viewforum.php?f=34
also
viewforum.php?f=8
viewforum.php?f=7

archyman

Post by archyman »

D15 or 16 pistons or other parts may be stronger but mixing the internals is not the best option if you want reliability. Remember that the engines internals are calculated by an thermodynamics engineer and changing pistons with different shape may proove for the worse.
It is allways better to invest first in superb cooling system, perfect the a/f ratio, not touch the rev-limiter or compression and so on.. to get the max of the stock engine+turbo in a safe manner and sustained reliability.
Or if you want more than 7-9psi, go the hard way and straight to the aftermarket performance parts.
Betek gave you some reading material, enjoy :)

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Also I can add that lubrication is very import too!
For both turbos and naturally aspirated engines (N/A).
Lubrication aim is to reduce the friction but also it is a part of cooling system too.
Especially at very high temperatures where the coolants for radiators can boil and steam easily the oil will be there to cool and lubricate the metal stuff!

novaksaotome

Post by novaksaotome »

you would really need to aim to produce more that 400 hp to need a custom crank. I've seen different d-series pistons, and d14a4 ones for example are by far a better design than d16z6 or a6 ones, the skirts are shorter and they're almost flat. The rods are the only weak link for a big HP build. I'm pretty sure that a high rev, vtec d14 can be able to make 300 hp with arround 1 bar of pressure and a good manifold design.