Shot peening conrods

When forced induction is your style
marty40

Shot peening conrods

Post by marty40 »

Right guys.

Im thinking of going turbo now as i want some more power.

thinking of geting my conrods shot peened to allow me to run around 220hp. As i know this is the max limit that the standard rods will take altho never actually heard of anyone breaking them yet.

Shot peening increases rod strength by 30% so this means that it would allow an extra 30hp? meaning max hp would then be raised to around 250hp. As long as the big end bearings could cope. Altho a ported oil pump should help them?

What do you guys tink?
Thanks, martin

saxophonias

Re: Shot peening conrods

Post by saxophonias »

Moved to the right section. Do you intend on using stock but reinforced internals? Do you also consider the vitara pistons which are good for this amount of power and very cheap to get? What about cryogenesis on some parts?

marty40

Post by marty40 »

are vitara pistons needed for this hp? as the max limit would be 250hp on the standard rods. I would use aftermarket rods but no one makes them and have searched endlessly for the rods with the same sizes but with no luck.

i have only really looked into shot peening the rods as this seems to be the weakest part of the engine.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

You can order custom made but the price will be little bit expensive from other D series one, suppose.

marty40

Post by marty40 »

yea i have thought of that but i dont think i want to spend that money. b very xpensive for a set of rods for a 1.4. altho with them id say 300hp would be posible with lots of boost.

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Unfortunately the D14s didn't sold at US market and that's why there are no aftermaket high duty rods for them.
Maybe to change your crankshaft to D15 and drop D15 rods?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Guys Joris has verified along with Nick that the rods of d13 will fit d14 (actually they are the same) and there are aftermarket ones ( i think Crower)

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

:shock: :shock:
Yes they are same!!!
I looked at honda EPC and they have exactly the same part number
13210-PM1-000
:P :P

marty40

Post by marty40 »

interesting! :D

so they are deffinatly the same then? i searched for d13 rods but cant seem to find any. i know that brian crower used to make them for the d13.

cant find them tho :?

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

it's on their catalogs and website but it doesn't write d13 there but writes as 1342cc under honda. The problem now is finding a piston to go with those rods. The only piston with 29.5mm compression height is from d16a6 but the head design is different that of our engines so it's not a that good option. Other piston for engines that have a similar head don't have the right compression height. Also vitaras which are a cheap option for the d-series builds yield very low compression in our engines. The only solution is to send over a stock piston to a manufacturing company and order a custom one built according to needs. One other solution would require changing crankshaft with a d15b or d13 one to be able to use an off the shelf rod and piston set.