Shot peening conrods

When forced induction is your style
marty40

Re: Shot peening conrods

Post by marty40 »

well i have my head skimmed runing around 10.3:1 compression so i would be looking for a piston that would help me lower this. Would a d16a6 do this?

also have checked brian crowers website and catolgue for the rods but he doesnt seem to list them anymore. i know he used to because i remember seeing them listed in the old catologe.

cheers for replys guys!

marty40

Post by marty40 »

legend! thank you :D

i was looking on the wrong site. i was looking at brian crowers website not crowers. two different companys.
oooopppssss.

quite expensive $770!!! :shock: :shock:

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Who has ever told you shot peening makes your rods 30% stronger ???
That's straight bullshit ,it only helps a tiny bit more like 3%.
If it actualy would increase rod strength by 30% everybody would be shot peening their rods :lol:
Guys the first thing that will fail are not your rods , it's all about oil !The higher the rpm and or compression your engine makes the higher the loads will be on your crank bearings .The rods will push onto the bearings so hard the oil layer between the bearings will be pushed out and it will run dry and seize.
When that is starting to happen your rod will break cause the bearing wants to stop and your rod wants to keep moving. Also Rod bolts will start to stretch cause of higher loads on the rod.

Best thing to do is put in some ARP Rod bolts into your oem D14 rods and port your oem D14 oil pump for increased oil.You could also enlarge the oi holes in the bearings for increase lubrication.On Endyn's website there's a very good write up on doing those things.If you've done those things your rods will handle 200bhp easy. For turbocharged engines it's even more important to port that oil job .The forces are higher on turbocharged engines cause they make a lot of torque.You could also buy a new oil pump and ship that over to Endyn and let them port your oil pump for $135 i think.They do amazing work and have years and years of experience in Honda's and D-series.

Crower make those 1342 cc rods a looong time.I noticed those 1342cc rods many years ago but i never looked further into it.It was only untill i disambled my First D14 engine (many years later) and measured the rods that i knew those rods Crower listed where identical to the rods in my D14.I also then knew D13 rods are the same as D14 rods.Your best bet on pistons are D16y8 pistons (aftermarket) or aftermarket pistons for the D16a6 (PM6). OR D14z2 pistons should be a higher compression pistons according to some here.(Isn't confirmed yet)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

marty40

Post by marty40 »

yea i think i will port the oil pump for defo and making holes in the bearings also sounds like a good idea. Have seen a writeup on porting an oilpump so ill give it a go myself.

haha it was actually a car modifying magazine that stated that. they had a big write up about engine internals.

i think i might just go for a set of those crower rods. Which pistons would u recomend? for 300hp+?

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

It depends cause all options have a downside, so you need to chose what's best for your application.

If you are using a y8 head u can go with y8 forged pistons but they have a compression height of 29.3 as opposed to 29.5 on our engines. So the piston to deck height won't be zero and you have increased risk of head lift under high combustion chamber pressures. You could deck the block 0.2 mm to accomdate for that difference which will give you in the end 9.1:1 compression ratio using the y8 stock spec piston and y8 head.

If you are using a d16z6 or the stock d14 head you could do the same above or use a d16a6 piston which shares the same piston comp. height. But in this application both of the two piston's are designed to work in a different design combustion chamber than of the z6 head.

One other option which is the cheapest would be to swap in a jdm d15b crankshaft and use ycp vitara with custom length fjt rods to have 0 piston to deck height but again the piston isn't designed for your head. But people are using these pistons in their setups to reach 450+whp.

marty40

Post by marty40 »

so vitara pistons will be enough for me to use? Thats good to hear as they are a hell of alot cheaper than the likes of cp and je etc.

I have my head skimmed 1.3mm :? which leaves compression around 10.3:1 roughly. cus i origionally built for n/a.

So how about i use standard d14 crank, crower d13 rods and d16a6 vitara pistons. ( says the vitara pistons would give a 8.5:1 compression ratio in a d16a6 engine, so is it possible to work out what compression this would give me in my engine?)

cheers guys!

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

For turbo i would either use stock pistons or aftermarket or the vitara's.
But vitara's have a very low compression height and a big piston Dish.
Piston Compression Height: 28.3
Piston Dish Volume: -15cc

With vitara's and your head milled 1.3mm your compression ratio is 7.69 :1.Which is way too low for 200-300bhp turbocharged imo.
Big turbocharged engines run that low compression cause they're going to boost 2bar of pressure or something.You need to be around 8.5 -9:1 compression.You're better off running stock pistons if your going to limit the hp up till 200-230bhp or get aftermarket pistons and rods and go all out up till 300bhp.I won't recomend 300bhp for a street driven civic ,all you're going to get is wheel spin.A friend of mine is running a 300bhp turbocharged d16 civic eg3 ,and that thing breaks out easy .200-230 hp at the wheels is more then enough to beat the crap out of any big car out there and still be drivable.

And D14 cranks aren't as strong as D16 cranks cause they use a smaller crank bearing.So you're limited in hp .

A quote from Larry from Endyn:

"We've only built a couple D15's and they were for mild forced-induction applications. While the crankshaft journal diameters are less than the D16's, we've observed no problems with power under 425HP.
The shorter stroke would also contribute to better breathing with the D series (limited) porting/valve size.
Larry"

As you can read another big advantage of a D14 is better breathing cause of the shorter stroke. ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

marty40

Post by marty40 »

would 400hp be possible? with a rebuilt steel internaled skyline turbo. max boost it can run is 1.7bar. anything higher it just makes lots of heat. to compete in a drag series for a 1.4 and below class.

with crower rods and vitaras. only problem with vitaras is they list them to fit all d16s. so are all d16 pistons the same. or will some give different piston to deck hights?

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

400 hp is possible but not with a skyline turbo. It would run out of breath around 300hp or less.

Also crower rods with vitaras are a no go. That yields 6.91:1 compression ratio. Vitara's are only possible if you use a d15b crank. IIRC the vitara wrist pin's are also different (floating pin style) so they won't fit on stock honda spec rods.