Supercharger model

When forced induction is your style
archyman

Re: Supercharger model

Post by archyman »

I'm glad you have answered me Joris, because frankly i thought i didn't make sense with that unpopular idea. :lol: (pls change the place of this post if its inappropriate)
The story goes like this:
it's a pity but few months after i came with the idea of an electrical SC and began research, exactly the same invention was patented by a British firm called CPT (controlled power technologies) along with some other good stuff concerning low emissions, efficiency and so on. Later on, CPT sold the rights to "Valeo" (which proved that at least i was in the right direction, but frustrated).
What came to me is that "Valeo" is in negotiations with BMW to put the "VTES" system in the coming generation of boosted engines...and they probably did that already...
What i had left to do, besides eating my butt off, was to buy some Valeo stocks on the fund market and cash the small profit i made (yes the price gained like 30% short after the deal with Valeo :lol: )
It was kinda disappointing but I've decided to do it for my car at least.
The setup combines the efficient centrifugal compressor with the latest of electric motor tech -Swithed Reluctant motor that is easily operated at high speeds (above 60000 rpm), does not wear off, it's small and light, maintainance free, works with 12v batteries and so on..
From the site of CPT you can see that the gains are well over 40% for small 1.4 engines and performance is like 1.6 with lower emissions rate. 90% of torque comes in 1 second! capable 1.4 bar.
To make the long story short this SC removes the turbo lag and boosts efficiency by providing a wide field for tuning the controller and match it to engine performance -really the best of both worlds -SC and TC without the same flaws..
Here is a link to CPT's site:
http://www.cpowert.com/products/vtes.htm
The problem right now is that in Bulgaria all good el. motor factories were sold during the transition and now there is only import stuff, which is not up to date..
I know there are several plants in the UK (Nidec) and US (Rocky Мountain Тech) that build such motors for the automotive industry , but didn't receive answer so far. Will keep trying!
This place is big and i think that there are many people that can contribute to the project and why not build along...
I am open to new ideas, and will be glad to get some brainstorming going on:) :geek: :shock: :mrgreen:

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

how much would that cost and what other components would be needed to make it work? Is it like a typical turbo application?

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

The reason why I asked... Someone on you tube with a d15 or a d16 had managed to install it. I spoke to him and he replied shortly. Ill edit this post once I get back to my laptop and find the link.

sry guys this was in reply to the eaton 62 question :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5vnuzYCe8s&feature=plcp
Last edited by sktaroins on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archyman

Post by archyman »

It is identical to putting a regular centrifugal supercharger like rotrex for example, but without the belts, some brackets, complex gearbox oil cooling etc..the mounting itself would be far easier than turbo.
So as a summary the parts needed would be something like that:
electric motor
motor controller
compressor (can use one from old turbocharger with a rebuild kit if needed)
wiring
brackets for mounting (steel or aluminum)
Piping, filters and coupling, emergency bov
small intercooler (u can go without but small ic should give better and safer performance and good response)
12V VRLA Battery (as a main battery replacement)
This setup will allow the use of exhaust manifolds with various design.
However, some stock internals may need changing in order to take boost from earlier point..but it's a matter of how u tune it and how much boost you want.

As far as cost, it depends mostly on the SR Motor and controller. The motor itself shouldn't be much as it uses a very simple design. what could be expensive is the controller for the motor...and that i believe is the crucial part in the project.
If done wisely this should be less expensive and more efficient way to gain Hp than the more common alternatives...i hope:)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I'd sign up for your solution.

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

im in -- but dont you think that the kinetic energy in a petrol liquid drop is higher than an electric charge or is it the opposite --- so you say that an electric motor is better ? what about the burning - so it will be a complete non burning petrol - just like a mechatronics study of machine - hang on a sec ... electric motor as in dynamo , magnets etc etc that kind of concept in an electric motor which is supercharged to rotate between south and north poles ? ... that kind of electric motor? .. :shock:

i use to play alot with this

archyman

Post by archyman »

Well, the engine itself and the burning stays the same, the only difference is that the compressor wheel is turned by the torque of the electic motor instead of exhaust gas pulse or the engine belt.
Offcourse energy will come from the battery wich is charged by the generator but with new sr motors consumption is far less...
There's even better solution to this by putting along a regular turbocharger to work as a generator for the battery..
You are right that kinetic energy may be less but you have to have in mind that in turbo there are a lot of losses also.
The permanent magnet motors can't areach that kind of speed and efficiency, so the Switched Reluctant motor uses the change in current upon the steel stator instead of the rotor to rotate it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched_reluctance_motor
I used to put these motors in the lego toys i ve built when i was a little archyman :lol:

P.S. i saw the video of the eaton..nowadays you can do anything Sam, but personally i don't like the noise of that thing, it's like a jigsaw haha

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

Laugh out loud,, when I was a kid I use to open the remote control cars and remove the E.M and add two or three E.M
Lol. but lego is a nice toy. I didnt have lego but had many remote cars,
So I broke all of them and then removed all the EM and kept them in one remote car... Lol until I got confused so much that I stopped messing around.

Okay back to the topic.

Mmm so thats indeed how its done, and you can increase the power of the EM by increasing the copper wire, and having bigger magnets hehe
True indeed archy, EM has a limit but with the help of the SRM ..... Hmmm not sure about it ...
Im not sure if my idea below works but in the EM we only can increase the magnetic flux but according to our calculation we cant just have a jump start speed moving car if u know wat I mean by accelerating.
The EM needs to be controlled ny a remote control lolz ..
I wish but somehow the same concept of gasoline E.M in those big R.C.C

Which is why an EFI IS NEEDED in this case its electron fuel injection instead of old gasoline injection like mine 4example no ecu and the car is carbureted ..

So im definetly in this topic.
As for that eaton ... It sounds noisy.. I agree I didnt like it either.

hondamake

Post by hondamake »

Well guys you have certainly got my attention! Any "outside the box" concept is where the fun is. As you have heard me say before "any idiot can build/buy a fast car by spending lots of money" Using your own intellect/skill gives real joy. ;)
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick any two - because you won't get all three!

sktaroins

Post by sktaroins »

Ya man you got one line wrong there .. any idiot can build ..!
I think u meant NOT any idiot can build lol. And if u meant any idiot can build , then we are all idiots lol.
Nah man, not at all NOT ANY IDIOT CAN BUILD :)