Supercharger model

When forced induction is your style
sktaroins

Re: Supercharger model

Post by sktaroins »

I have seen only eaton m62 and m45 supercharger on the d15 so far but i think its a little big and takes space which is why i think the rotrex is a better option ...!!

have a look - maybe ull change ur mind i think its almost the same price but this runs on 250,000 rpm ...!!

:)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I'm actually looking into Rotrex chargers for a while now .Every now and then on ebay and such.They are very rare to find used i've only seen a few over the past year and they go around 600-1000€ used for a c30 unit.
A few weeks ago someone was selling brand new C15-60 units on ebay for €730 or best offer.(around here they are asking + €2000) That's actually a bargain if you ask me. It was a Chevrolet dealer from Greece that was selling them .Over 10 kits where sold .C15-60 is actually perfect for the 1.4L engine.
It can support 122-238hp depending on engine Ve and cam and other things.
I've done the math and it's possible to boost a 140hp D14 to 220hp with the c15-60 at only 8psi of pressure.

It's also very small only 144mm to 155mm and weighs 3kg.The c30 unit is around 6kg afaik and is already 180mm in length.

I also got a smoking deal with them with a used kit which i may put into use after the N/a part. :twisted:

The rotrex units are far more effecient then the eaton (aka Heaton) units.
They don't even rebuild or repair rotrex units because their tolerances are so tight.But if you follow their instructions and maintain a regular oil and filter change they last a a lot of miles .I believe they say around 500.000km cause they are so effecient.That's why they are soo expensive .

Boost increases with rpm ,so peak boost will only be gotten at peak rpm.
In low revs and on idle the Bypas valve will allow boost to bleed off ,so you could actually drive it N/A and have great fuel economy in low revs.When you go wot boost gets up and power is there.

Eaton m45 or m62 (65) units would work too but they create a lot of heat .They aren't that expensive used you could find them for €200-300.
Build a bracket with some pulleys or turn the rotors and run it backwards with a 10% loss they work fine.Intercooler isn't always needed but it's always better when you do have one.

Here's a example of a rotrex powered D16z6 in a civic ED7 .
He's using a C30-74 unit and is on 10psi of pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73u0hRQK ... z6uFRit1Dw
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Do you have any link from the Greek dealer? Does he import them somehow?
What about Jackson Racing?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

They imported a whole batch back then, i think to sell as a option on some chevrolets models from their dealership or something.They where selling them on ebay but the last one sold a few weeks ago.They where selling really quick and i only noticed the auction when there where only 2 units left .I think they could import a new kit but i don't know if they still sell them as cheap.A whole batch is cheaper then a single unit.

Here's a link with their info http://www.amcham.gr/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=58

Jackson racing uses rotrex units now . Kraftwerks usa also uses rotrex units.
The old jackson racing kits used the eaton superchargers ,but they aren't as effecient as the rotrex units.You could make your own kit with a used M45 Eaton supercharger from a mini cooper S .Or Mercedes also uses them.
That's cheaper then the rotrex kit.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTREX-model- ... 4ac948061c

This is the link! Man are you sure they aren't fraud? It is weird why they are selling them so cheap. I will give them a call tomorrow.

http://www.rotrex.com/Home/Supercharger ... /Kits_Cars
In their site there isn't any reference to our civics. Why is this I am wondering? Is it a lot of custom work that needs to be done?

What else it is needed to be plug and play?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTREX-model- ... 4ac948061c

This is the link! Man are you sure they aren't fraud? It is weird why they are selling them so cheap. I will give them a call tomorrow.

http://www.rotrex.com/Home/Supercharger ... /Kits_Cars
In their site there isn't any reference to our civics. Why is this I am wondering? Is it a lot of custom work that needs to be done?

What else it is needed to be plug and play?

Yes that's them.Aparently they have listed some more .The last 8 items they say on ebay.I don't know why they list them so cheap ,but like i mentioned before They only have the C15-60 model and they most likely have bought them in a large amount. Like say 30 kits or so ,so the price for each kit is cheaper.Maybe they need money now and need to sell them all.
Since they are a official chevrolet dealer i don't think they would scam all those people.Their are allready more then 10 kits sold as far as i know.

A kit for our civic doesn't exist.This isn't a plug and play kit ,this is just the rotrex unit with oil cooler ,oil filter ,oil reservoir ,oil hoses and 1 liter of rotrex oil.You need to fabricate your own bracket ,and get your own intercooler intercooler pipes , a double sided belt ,some pulley idlers and tensioner.
Kraftwerks only just now came out with a complete kit for B-series and also D-series engines .But they use the big C30-94 unit.

Biggest reason a kit doesn't exits is because the older honda engines turn counter clockwise and a rotrex unit turns Clockwise.The newer honda engines K20 and so turn clockwise.You need to make a bracket and use a double sided belt and run the Rotrex pulley from the back of the belt.
Kraftwerks also does it like this.

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/kraftwerks ... 0-94-4121/

This is the first bracket that a guy made.First rotrex to fit on a B18 engine .He's also from Denmark where rotrex is from too) Kraftwerks and others took his idea and are now selling their own kits.Even oscar Jackson(from jackson racing) e-mailed him to ask about his experience with it.

As you can see he runs a double sided belt and runs the pulley of the rotrex from the back of the belt with good belt wrap.
Keep in mind this a c30 unit and is bigger then a c15.

Things you need are:

- Rotrex kit
- Intercooler piping either 2.25" or 2.5" would be fine
- intercooler
- Bosch Bypass valve or a supercharger blow off valve or other brand bypass valve
- Double sided multi belt
- A suitable pulley for the Rotrex unit .When using the oem crank pulley and using the AC pulley location you'll need to use a pulley between 95mm and 120mm .Rotrex offers pulleys up till 110mm and it's best to use their pulleys because they have high tolerances.
- custom make a bracket to support the rotrex unit and some smaller pulley idlers and a tensioner.

- A air filter with a piece of pipe on it .Or just run the filter on the rotrex itself.
- Bigger injectors may be needed depending on how much boost you're running.
- Engine oil cooler and bigger radiator may also be needed depending on how much boost you'll running.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Ah finally... I have always been on the lookout for this SC. By using a double sided belt they did it. Not actually considering it right now. But it might be a nice boost for my B16B to get it from 200 to 300 bhp range. But it probably will not match the 10.8 CR unless I get a cam with huge overlap. At least I can start considering it from now on :mrgreen: .