DIY : How to increase airflow to your stock throttle body

hondaNickx

DIY : How to increase airflow to your stock throttle body

Post by hondaNickx »

This is something i did a while ago .This topic has lot's of pages on a other forum so i'll just post the most important stuff here ;) .

I used Endyn 's archive for the radius and intake calculating and offcourse lots of tips from Rushi for the Tb.Quote from Larry “Using this formula's radius combined with the 25% increase in area in front of the throttle body allows the lower velocity air flow in the inlet "tube" to exert considerable pressure on the throttle body which is highly desirable from a power standpoint.”

I also noticed Larry said to make a Radiused connection wherever possible by using the formula 1/2 of the TB diameter.

For the throttle shaft i used a method from the book "4 Stroke tuning" from A. Graham Bell.He said there could be gained 10-12% in flow by reducing the shaft thickness ,removing the screws and cutting 1 side away.Other then that i've read on a Skyline forum that some company's used paint for Rc cars to seal the Tb.The trick here was to apply a very thin coating of paint with the butterfly shut.I used Motip white tire marker for this .I had this laying around and i think it will work thesame since it both flexibel paint .I later discovered moly based paint is what they use in OEM TB's.

Note: This was my first design and later i discovered i miscalculated the Radius and actually used half the radius i supposed to use.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

hondaNickx

Re: DIY : How to increase airflow to your stock throttle body

Post by hondaNickx »

So i went back to the drawing boards and made a new radius adaptor piece.The stock D-series tb tapers down from 60mm to 55mm of the butterfly.

The new radius adaptor is going to be 120mm in diameter with a radius of R= 30mm.

Allright guys i received my radius adaptor today ,and i allready got started on my new TB.Btw this things looks Awesome E-Machineshop did a fantastic job making this :bowdown:.

The Donor Throttle body ( D16Y8 )

Dissambly

Removing coolant passage tubes (i'm not using those)

Reworked the little tube sticking up (in the way of the Tb radius)
I think this is for somekind of idle ,not sure how to hook it up yet.

This bump needs to be removed with a grinder/dremel so the TB radius can slide over.

And yes a perfect fitment

The seem will be filled with defcon later

Last edited by hondaNickx on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Great topic Nick! Thanks for sharing :)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

This is how Endyn (Larry) made his model many many years ago on his n/a D16a6 back then .

This is also their first intake tube design.Later one they made a new design which tapered over the entire length of the tube.

And this is how a guy in the Usa made his mold for his fiberglass intake tube

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:Great topic Nick! Thanks for sharing :)
Thx :) i added a little more to the previous posts. ;)
I can recomend doing the TB shaft mod ,it's not that hard if your a little handy and got some tools and a dremel.My 2nd tb (d16y8) is actually a lot cleaner it has less ports to fill and to clean up.I made the taper inside a little more steeper and further down to the butterfly on the lathe.I would also recomend Not to remove the black sealing inside around the butterfly.I didn't removed it the 2nd time and it seals up way better.I also dropped my first shaft like 10 times on the floor and it still worked good.So the shaft is still strong enough.I marked the TPS sensor with a sharp pen on the tps sensor itself and the tb.So you could assemble it back toghether and not having to recalibrate your TPS sensor. ;)

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Really nice to see. I actually wonder how it will work without a tube fitted on it... 3d in flow case. (Probably shitty due to acoustics). Brilliant piece of craftsmanship!

Btw the other project you show form the USA with the diverging tube. I was always learned this was a terrible design with respect to resistance. A tube with same diameter entire length has less resistance I would guess, since the diverging one might develope some turbulent shedding in the negative slope area.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Really nice to see. I actually wonder how it will work without a tube fitted on it... 3d in flow case. (Probably shitty due to acoustics). Brilliant piece of craftsmanship!

Btw the other project you show form the USA with the diverging tube. I was always learned this was a terrible design with respect to resistance. A tube with same diameter entire length has less resistance I would guess, since the diverging one might develope some turbulent shedding in the negative slope area.

That's how Endyn made their 2nd design and they said it actually worked better then their previous design.I think the air entering actually slows down ,the Radius itself creates a pressure onto the manifold .Kinda like a turbo ...

baz

Post by baz »

Mmm great stuff Nick!

Cold you place a link from the site where you got this? Im kind off interested 8-)
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I made the topic and got my info from Endyn and self research.
I posted it on OneCamOnly and the topic grew there.

There is lot's of info you can find in the archive section from Endyn's website.
Also lot's of info on OneCamOnly most of the guys around there know what they are doing.

http://www.OneCamOnly.com
http://www.TheoldOne.com

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

In the states "Glenniz" from OneCamOnly got some more work done...
Glenniz wrote:OK Guys,

It's been a year and a half since some of us members got together and decided to go with Nick's idea of making a TBRIA (throttle body radius inlet adapter).

The problem we had was trying to come up with an intake and coupler that would work with the TBRIA. I came up with an idea about eight months ago but because of school I had not been able to complete the project. Until now.

Here are some pics along with a short description of how the process worked out.

Back in this thread I had photos of how I made the plug that would eventually lead to the mold. The pics here start with making the mold.

Apply two coats of resin allowing to dry two hours in between coats.

Apply six to eight layers of fiberglass 2oz. cloth using resin in between layers of cloth.

After letting the fiberglass cure for twenty four hours, remove the plug and start the same process to the other side.

When the second side has cured for twenty four hours, remove the plug and begin separating.

Trim away all the excess fiberglass and you now have a nice clean mold to work with.

After applying basically the same process as before, only now to the inside of the mold, you come out with an intake that is in rough form.

After a little trimming, sanding, primer and painting, you come out with something that looks like this.

Here is everything ready to be installed when I get around to installing the head that I ported. Should be very soon now!

Here are a couple of pictures of everything mocked up.

And of course, I haven't even installed the intake yet and I am already starting a new and improved version that will be able to be installed as a Cold Air Intake as well as a Short Ram Intake.
Glenniz wrote:Yeah Baby!!!!

Today was the trial run for the TBRIA and TBRIA Custom Intake. Basically I wanted to make sure of fitment so that the intake can be used on all 92-95 Civics, 2DR, 3DR and 4dr in either SRI or CAI design. With a little tweaking here and there I think we will be in business. I'll should have one of the intakes in Beave's hands over the next week, so I'll make him my 3DR Guinea Pig.

Bottom line is, The TBRIA was installed with nothing else changed on the motor. No change in fuel pressure, my ecu is not chipped so there are no changes there and I'm still using the oem 240cc injectors.

At low rpm's i notice a slight difference, but a 4200 rpm's it starts pulling and pulling and pulling, all the way to about 7000 rpm's. I didn't take it beyond that because I hit the rev limiter right after that.

All I can say is that it works very, very well, and with the addition of the ported Z6 intake, the RDX injectors and my ecu chipped, this little fuc%er should pull very hard. Some time in July I should have it on the dyno so I can do some comparative pulls. That's when we will know for sure. I will also post pic's of it in CAI design as well as when I paint it.

Thank You Nick for getting all of this started!!! You are the MAN!!!!

Glenniz wrote:Well Guys,

After more than a year of talking about it, it's finally here. The CAI for the TBRIA is done! I couldn't be more happy with the way it came out.

Here are a few pics of the final version.

The first initinal test was positive,we/i still need to test it on a Dyno to know for sure it actually works.Glenn is gonna send me copie of his intake pipe he made ,this way i can test the "Tbira" on my z6 intake that i'm using currently.I still need to mock up my aluminium intake pipe for my Edelbrock intake manifold.