JG Edelbrock Performer X intake manifold

saxophonias

Re: JG Edelbrock Performer X intake manifold

Post by saxophonias »

;)
If i remember right, i think that inside it has a lot of rough surfaces that you could port for optimum performance. You'll see for your self ;)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:;)
If i remember right, i think that inside it has a lot of rough surfaces that you could port for optimum performance. You'll see for your self ;)

Yes i know ,my very first manifold was a Edelbrock unit but i ended up selling it .Never installed it...
There where some lines inside from the casting that could be cleaned up and port matching the runners.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I don't know whether this happens with other aftermarket manifolds, but in mine when the revs go past 5500 almost, then there is a change in the engine's sound. It's like there is a vtec really :roll:

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:I don't know whether this happens with other aftermarket manifolds, but in mine when the revs go past 5500 almost, then there is a change in the engine's sound. It's like there is a vtec really :roll:

Hmm isn't it just the non vtec working ?I mean my D14 starts pulling good from 5000rpm it's just the non vtec cam kicking in.People asked me if i had vtec ... :lol:
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I'll be adding some inside pictures of the Edelbrock unit in a few weeks.I'm currently cleaning up my Edelbrock manifold and making some small adjustments.The shape is different but better compared to the Skunk2/blox units imo.As always there is cleaning up to do ,some casting marks in the runners and shaping the dividers a little better...More on this later ;)

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I was wondering whether it is the ideal thing to have a perfectly polished interior surface of the manifold or it is more preferable to exist some little rough place for better flow or something. The same happens for sure for some surfaces inside the engine. Still i don't know whether the same principle applies here.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:I was wondering whether it is the ideal thing to have a perfectly polished interior surface of the manifold or it is more preferable to exist some little rough place for better flow or something. The same happens for sure for some surfaces inside the engine. Still i don't know whether the same principle applies here.

You want to have a rough texture in areas where air and fuel are mixing toghether.Combustion chamber,intake ports ,a small part inside the intake runners where the injectors are sitting.The rough texture will promote the air and fuel to mix better.Exhaust ports and the rest of the intake port/plenum can be polished but it isn't nessecary.I never polished anything ,i just clean everything up with a 80 grit flapper wheel inside the manifold to get all the castings marks out of there.Polishing is good to reflect things ,for example to reflect heat of your intake pipe polish it.On a rough texture heat will pentrate better then on a smooth mirror texture.Anodise the aluminium and then polish and it will reflect 20x better.Anodizing smooths out micro textures ,giving a smoother surface.Top of the line is gold plating which will reflect 80% of the heat.
The edelbrock unit still can be made better ,the dividers inside the plenum are not perfect .From the looks of it the runners look somewhat smaller for me compared to the Skunk2/Blox units.Too bad i never measured those runners .

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Good info, very intresting. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Im tempted to smooth my IM but i dont want to cut it ! I've been told it is necessary a special tool to weld aluminium and it would be difficult to get. Can i clean it with a Dremell and an extension? Cheers

SquirtAndSpark

Post by SquirtAndSpark »

Law_ wrote:Im tempted to smooth my IM but i dont want to cut it ! I've been told it is necessary a special tool to weld aluminium and it would be difficult to get. Can i clean it with a Dremell and an extension? Cheers
search for "duraflex" :idea:

I discovery it recently :P