D14 RACV

marty40

D14 RACV

Post by marty40 »

Hi all. In the process of building an engine for my EJ9. Higher comp, ported head etc and side feed inlet manifold.

My question is i have got a EK9 type r throttle body (i think, bigger, penny measures 65mm) and would like to use it instead of the standard 1.4 tb. everyting fits perfectly apart from the RACV. type r must use a different one or something im assuming (mounts on tb are bigger) so my 1.4 RACV will not fit the type r tb. I tried unplugging it and turned the ignition on and the engine management light stayed on.

Is ther any way that i can get rid of the RACV as its only to do with idle and it wont fit my new tb and theres no place for it on new plenum.

Thanks, Martin

Law_

Re: D14 RACV

Post by Law_ »

Hi martin please introduce yourself in the right section.
You can short circuit the RACV, as i have on mine. But dont know if the sensors and all things work well with Type R TB. But welp will come.
Cheers

baz

Post by baz »

65mm not a overkill? :shock:
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

EK9 is 62mm , i would be 65mm on the tapered side but that's not the real size.To each their own but i don't like big Tb's on a D14. ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

baz

Post by baz »

Big TB = slow throttle respons?
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

= Less velocity.
But it really depends in what combo it is used imo.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

marty40

Post by marty40 »

not actually sure wat tb it is but its for a civic anyway. 65mm is a bit big i think but didnt know the size before i bought it. i thought was just a standard d16 tb, was just gona use the spring off it but it arrived and discovered it had been nicely gas flowed too. :o

The engine is gna be running higher comp, ported head, side feed inlet, induction kit with cold air feed, adj cam gear, lightnd flywheel, 4-2-1 manifold to buddyclub ful system and an safc. do you think 65mm is too much? :?

thanks for the replys! :D

edit: anyone know how to bypass it? thanks

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

The bypass mentioned earlier was about coolant lines bypass...

Bottomline: you need to keep D14 TB, only some 55mm TBs are fitted with RACV as far as I know.

If you want bigger TB, you'll need to use the EACV which is located on the back of the IM instead of the TB. You have the flange on your IM already I pressume... your problem is you are going to piggyback the ECU. That way you can not convert RACV to EACV unless you have an extreme knowledge of both valve control signals and knows how to make a circuit board that can manipulate one to the other. Sheer impossible in my opnion and getting an decent OBD1 swap is easier and safer.

That is how I did it, OBD1 swap, initially Crome and now I have eCtune on the ECU. And btw, I run an aftermarket 70 mm Skunk2 TB. Immense overkill and a waste of money. But it works fine and it gives an extreme FAST throttle response, doing 120 kmh needs only 7 to 10% throttle opening.

lumpenst

Post by lumpenst »

Law_ wrote: You can short circuit the RACV, as i have on mine.
what do you mean by short circuit?

Law_

Post by Law_ »

I meant close loop on the water pipes from RACV but please dont do this, as im not sure. will confirm for you though. Cheers