Skunk2 intake manifold

saxophonias

Skunk2 intake manifold

Post by saxophonias »

This is the Skunk2 manifold that Joris has.

This manifold is also very popular among d-series tuners!

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: Skunk2 intake manifold

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Yeah, but I am not that content with it. After an entire manifold + TB change from D16Z6 to Skunk2 specs I only got a few tiny hps at the top of my torque curve. At that time money/hp ratio seemed bad. But I still got it and it may have worked out very nice with the Skunk2 cam.

I believe this since another project I have been involved (D15Z6 with D16Y8 cam that swapped to Skunk2 Stage1 cam as well) did not benifit from it. Might be since it had OEM D16Y8 manifold instead of aftermarket?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

I see. i believe that the difference between oem z6/y8 manifolds and skunk2 are not so big when we talk about stock engine, cam and revving. Still your case indicates even the opposite since you already had cam and plenty of revs. Maybe the key is the extremely big TB? It must have something to do with air flow and air volume. Maybe you reduced the air flow speed with such a big TB?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Before cam... since the cam I believe it might have helped me out.

ilya

Post by ilya »

H! all,
I can not find OEM an intake manifold, because the old. If to order new from factory its price will be 450-500 USD (very EXP i think) i wait about 1-2 month.
but i see in your projects car dodo, I find this Skunk2 IM. and i find it. its about 310 USD, can i use that with OEM IACV, Temperature Air sensor and OEM Throttle body. or i must find "skunk2 Throttle body 60-70mm" for this?

for help. i think OEM IM (in u'r nanuals) in catologs it is Civic CRX 92-95 1.6 vtec.
17100-p28-A00
17100-p2t-000
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

ilya wrote:H! all,
I can not find OEM an intake manifold, because the old. If to order new from factory its price will be 450-500 USD (very EXP i think) i wait about 1-2 month.
but i see in your projects car dodo, I find this Skunk2 IM. and i find it. its about 310 USD, can i use that with OEM IACV, Temperature Air sensor and OEM Throttle body. or i must find "skunk2 Throttle body 60-70mm" for this?

for help. i think OEM IM (in u'r nanuals) in catologs it is Civic CRX 92-95 1.6 vtec.
17100-p28-A00
17100-p2t-000
Hi! Would you like to introduce your self here?
viewforum.php?f=3

As for your question you can find used parts on www.ebay.com Search for d16y7 engine. Everything is similar.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I found an old dyno graph from David (SMSP) his fully build D16z6 engine ...
Fully ported D16y8 intake manifold vs skunk 2 intake manifold.
Skunk2 is the red line .

Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Small diffs actually... my diffs between D16Z6 OEM and SKunk2 are even smaller.

Btw I never answered Ilya's post... sorry.
To give that answer: yes it fits. Skunk2 makes it design in souch a way that all factory stuuf from 92-00 D-series models (and probably some 7th gen Civics as well) fit. So both fuel rails fit, the TA sensor fits but you can also close it of with a screw. EACV fits etc...

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

hmm i doesnt look worth it to me, $300 for very small gains. maybe it performs better with forced induction??
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

mynameisowen wrote:hmm i doesnt look worth it to me, $300 for very small gains. maybe it performs better with forced induction??

Keep in mind that porting the hell out of a Y8 intake manifold will most likely cost you the same or even more .
And all those aftermarket intake manifolds Skunk2/Edelbrock/Blox still have lot's of improvements than can be made inside.Over the years i had all 3 of them and they all have casting marks inside that can be removed to improve flow.Blox is by far the worst manifold .I bought one a while ago to cut it open and port it myself,and there was a lot of material that need to be removed .The Edelbrock unit is by far the best out there.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"