Skunk2 intake manifold

mynameisowen

Re: Skunk2 intake manifold

Post by mynameisowen »

hmmm yes, but would you say well ported Y8 mani is inferior to a ported aftermarket one?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

mynameisowen wrote:hmmm yes, but would you say well ported Y8 mani is inferior to a ported aftermarket one?
Yes but it depends for what you are using it for.Mostly the stock unit will do or a stock ported unit.If you want to rev some more and have your powerband on higher rpm's you'd be better off with a aftermarket piece.

The most important thing to remember is that you try to match as much parts as possible on a N/a build .
If you want the powerband to be in lower rpm's you don't wanna install a 4-1 header or a aftermarket intake manifold.The more things than will work together on the same rpm's the better the whole engine is gonna perform.
That is key in N/A tuning and the most difficult part.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

hondaNickx wrote:........
Yea i see what you mean. :)
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Dwardu

Skunk2 IM swap

Post by Dwardu »

Is the d16z6 fuel rail, fpr & throttle cable pulley necessary for this swap?

I have the Skunk2 IM, Hondata Gasket and J's Racing Intake till now and just want to confirm what else i will require :) can't have my car sitting dead for too long so I'd like to have everything I need at the time I start

Hopefully I can just reuse everything and my remaining shopping list is a couple hoses & coolant (speaking of which what size hoses & brand of coolant am I looking at?).
--

Dwardu

Re: Skunk2 IM swap

Post by Dwardu »

Are these hoses correct?
And what is that last one at the back of the manifold that i can't label?

Also I have 2 hoses leading to my charcoal canister
I marked what I'm talking about in red here...

I don't understand which one goes where
--

ilya

Post by ilya »

SKUNK2 same IM D16Z6 :D u have D14Zx ? > 1999 year? if answer YES u have new PURGE SOLENOID (p.solenoid on my second pic). just compare two pic in one.

perhaps you have a problem with the diameter of the hose? Well this is solved by replacing the hose, adapter, or just clips. important that hoses are properly connected.

ok pic 1.

and use it. sorry for quality, i make it for my RUS friend. later a make good version :) hurry up!

Last edited by ilya on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

Dwardu

Post by Dwardu »

yes! that is exactly what i have! D14Z2 1999

but the hose is too thick for the hole at the back of the manifold, do i need a special hose that is thick on one end and thin on another?? :?

and i guess this mean that the other hose i marked red is the one that goes on the front :P
--

ilya

Post by ilya »

changed the hose on what you need) this is not a criminal one. section of the hose is not very critically ! important to fit :)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=359 how2swap IM
EJ9 Russian Helper http://www.ej9.ru
Full Scheme SFI-OBD1 PDF [ENG]
SofRom 1.15 R2 - Chippest RTP Emulator like Hondata S300 and Moates Ostrich

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

F*kking h*ll, typed an enormous reply, and accidentially hit the backspace button which lost it focus to the text editor.

Attempt 2, now short version:

'Charcoal canister hose' is wrong place. Normally it is on TB. Right above butterfly valve where pressure is still dropping. This gives a pressure difference over the purge solenoid which Ilya explained. So when the solenoid opens, fuel vapors are extracted from the canister into the manifold and burned in the engine.

Putting the hose near the same spot as the solenoid connection gives no pressure differecne and hence no functioning EVAP system.

What I did (I actually just peeked in my car since I forgot myself), was remove the Charcoal hose entirely (aftermarket TB's don't have the connection???). Goes all right for years and no MOT problems so far. You can hardly see the missing hose. So now I have always a pressure diff on the EVAP system.

Dwardu

Post by Dwardu »

Do you mean this dodo? I don't have this, there is just a screw blocking it off (Went to look just now)

Maybe a D14Z2/D14A3 difference?

I took a picture of things after i removed the air box, I'm fairly sure it went into one of the 2 hoses in the middle of the old manifold, but i guess if you say so, i'll just remove it :mrgreen:

--