Blox Intake Manifold

hondaNickx

Re: Blox Intake Manifold

Post by hondaNickx »

79mm wrote:I would only choose those big manis on a highly modded d16 or a boosted sohc. Stock z6 mani is good for over 200Hp.
Poor throttle response by velocity decreases.

Did you ever seen or measured the runners of skunk2 ,blox,or edelbrock intake manifolds and compared them to the stock runners ??
I've been true all of them and the runners diameter are not bigger then stock.The plenum is bigger and the runners are diferent in length on the aftermarket manifolds.Velocity decreases because people keep using those bigger Throttle body's .Thinking the stock tb can't handle enough flow and they need a bigger tb...I've tested the stock Tb with a ported blox manifold on a flowbench and it flowed 260CFM on all 4 runners.Way more then enough for a 200Hp D16 build...It's all about making the right combo Tb - intake manifold.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

79mm

Post by 79mm »

No i have not measured anything about the Manifolds but I think the plenum is too big espicially for a NA d14 without a big Cam and low CR.
I lost power overall with the Blox (Skunk2 Replica---B18C6 Replica),also a d16vtec friend. (Although This Time i already had 130HP!!) I switched back to z6 and he back to his y8 mani.
Know a few guys with 300whp Civics which stay with their stock 56mm TB.
Bigger is not always better. 56mm is big enough for the d14, this was designed in fact for a d16.
But what ive seen was at the runners end the Blox was way smaller in diameter as the OEM one, it was unclearly finished with burys. I think they make it knowingly smaller to reach a better velocity. Big Plenum,long runners and a bit smaller outlet to get some Venturi Effect :idea:

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

The blox piece has really bad castings inside ,i think i have posted some pictures of my ported blox manifold around here.Besides that the plenum is in fact a lot bigger and you could get better results with a stock intake manifold.But it all depends on what combo /setup you're using it.Generally speaking you can get away with a 60mm Tb on a stock intake manifold and it will perform better.On a Aftermarket intake manifold you're better of with a stock Tb .In the skunk2 intake manifold section there's a dyno graph of a fully ported Y8 intake manifold vs a skunk2 manifold ,where you can clearly the skunk2 only performs better in higher rpm.A guy i know has used the Ported blox manifold and stock tb on his D14a1 and that thing realy came alive around 5000rpm and it pulled up till 8000rpm like crazy.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

79mm

Post by 79mm »

Oh you mean the suomi guy rushi right :P

He has the same engine like mine with almost same mods and he said he had huge gains with his Blox :roll:
He also says that he was very dissappointed with a level2 cam from bisi.
I dont care about him and not share his opinions.

My A2 screamed good w the Blox too,but it was more hot air than acceleration.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

79mm wrote:Oh you mean the suomi guy rushi right :P

He has the same engine like mine with almost same mods and he said he had huge gains with his Blox :roll:
He also says that he was very dissappointed with a level2 cam from bisi.
I dont care about him and not share his opinions.

My A2 screamed good w the Blox too,but it was more hot air than acceleration.
If you know Rushi a bit you would also know he isn't the guy that talks trash and he's a highly respected guy on onecamonly.You would also know that he used a d16/d15 regrinded level 2.2 Bisi cam on his d14 that he bought from another user who had it specialy made for his engine NOT a D14.Maybe that's why that cam didn't work :roll: Not everyone shares the same opinion so let's all stay friends ;)

79mm

Post by 79mm »

We all little d series guys hold together no fear. He is a good guy and i know he is a real d series soldier whether at d series or onecamonly. And i respect everybodys Opinions but i make my own Expirience and must not share some Meanings.
Once again I wrote we had the almost same setup at time,listen to me Nick ;) He had a Bisi D16 Level2 and i had a D16 Exospeed Sr909 Cam (Stage2) inside,both the Blox. He got Huge gains, I lost damn much Torque and Power. Afterwards he gone with a Stage 4 One from Exospeed Racing and was happy. Its strange :?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Just a late note, probably missing half the story. But my skunk2 runners are wider and 1 to 2 cm shorter compared to OEM D16Z6. Only near the head the runners narrow down to the same size as stock. But nera the plenum really different. The runner tapers towards the engine.