Performance air filters

BETEK

Re: Performance air filters

Post by BETEK »

Also the D14A3 is MPFI.

cad civic mechanic

Post by cad civic mechanic »

D14z4 has four independant injectors, two heated lambda sensors (one at exhaust manifold and one at the cat), a nine wire OBD1 type dizzy, OB2A ecu, and a plastic side flow manifold as standard, and maybe a different cam shaft profile ? I recon this is why it has 90bhp as standard compared to the 75bhp jorris had. Can anyone confirm ?
Dont slack her till you wreck her, horse on regardless

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

BETEK wrote:Also the D14A3 is MPFI.
But not a true MPFi, honda called it SFi (Simplified Fuel injection) since control is by 2 wires paired injectors instead of 4 independent. The Z1/Z2/Z4 I believe are true MPFi.

On the subject of performance I long thought going from SFi to MPFi would make my D14A3 more efficient, but now I've been told the gain in efficieny is only noticable around idle rpm, at higher engine speeds, the injection point of the injectors becomes less and less of importance. I think Baz proves SFi can make power ;).

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

The D14Z series have less power from D14A series at the road, at the paper maybe the same.
My cousin has 5door civic with d14z... (the last number I don't remember) with the metal intake manifold like the d16z6 one.
We tested my cars D14a3 and his at the same road and the conclusion is that the 5door is slower than mine.
Actually the 5door civic accelerate slower.
The difference in favor of the 5door is that produces less sound than d14a3 at the idle and works with less sound at the road too.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

you confused me. d14z engines aren't mounted on the MB series. Are you referring to the next gen civics? Ep ones?

cad civic mechanic

BETEK wrote:The D14Z series have less power from D14A series at the road, at the paper maybe the same.
My cousin has 5door civic with d14z... (the last number I don't remember) with the metal intake manifold like the d16z6 one.
We tested my cars D14a3 and his at the same road and the conclusion is that the 5door is slower than mine.
Actually the 5door civic accelerate slower.
The difference in favor of the 5door is that produces less sound than d14a3 at the idle and works with less sound at the road too.
I under stand what you mean betek, I think it cause the 5 door is a much heavier car having a longer chassis etc, the haynes manual states the 5 door hatch back weighs between 1090kg to 1155kg and the 3 door hatch back weighs between 970kg to 1180kg, I put my 5 door on a weigh bridge at work, with a full tank of fuel and she weighed in at 1672.5 kg dead weight. Another factor we need to consider as well as weight is the size (circumference) of the tyres, this will have influence over top speed and acceleration. We need dyno results to prove power at wheels. I mite just pop my engine back in to get some dyno results for the z4 as stock to compare with other d series engine breeds befor i start changing anything.

Dodo, if you want, il send you my z4 head after i do the swap for you to examine and play with, I shall donate it to the cause for research and development :lol: ;)

Saxophonias, im realy confused now, mines a D14z4 1.4IS with a MB tranny, start of chassis number is SHHMB2 off the top of my head (will double check) But mine is a UK model its a real mix and match of parts, I know for sure the suspension system is the same as the EJ9

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

saxophonias wrote:you confused me. d14z engines aren't mounted on the MB series. Are you referring to the next gen civics? Ep ones?
Also the d14a.... and d14z...series mounted to the 5door (mb) Civics and of course 3d and 4d Civics
Below is the Honda Motor Codes (some of them maybe is false like the specs of D14a3) http://www.hondagranturismo.it/articoli ... motore.pdf

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

@CCM: the cams may be nice to have, for (another) head I really am running out of storage room in my house :mrgreen:

@Betek: nice list! Specs look good to me.

cad civic mechanic

Dodo Bizar wrote:@CCM: the cams may be nice to have, for (another) head I really am running out of storage room in my house :mrgreen:

@Betek: nice list! Specs look good to me.
Cams, followers, valves, and retainers should be a small enough package to send in post ;)

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Im really impressed with the kind of tech on D14Z4. The peripherics are far superior, with Mpfi + Plastic IM (that can be as efficient as metal shape ones - but cannot be used on turbo applications).
If it was installed on a 3d chassis i would like to have it for me ! 9 wire dizzy is an advantage too... This model is less documented but maybe, easier to tune and with better results.
maybe the cam profile, maybe the ECU map.

I must confess the weight confused me... 1600 kg !
Does anyone weighted an Ej9 3d?

Anyway, we are here for learn with each others, and in the engine section, i must say D14Z4 is impressing me... Dyno IT !