Cold Air Intakes, Airboxes and Scoops

saxophonias

Re: Cold Air Intakes, Airboxes and Scoops

Post by saxophonias »

maybe search in car.gr ;)

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

on a dyno, a short ram shows better gains if you have the hood open. the engine bay's air is colder and the fan sends all the cold air directly on filter. so a CAI loses all the advantages vs a short ram.
we tested a b18c with short and lost 6hp when we closed the hood and kept losing. after 3 pullings it lost 11hp!!!
Last edited by Power of Vtec on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

really?on the road though the circulation of the air is totally different for a short ram

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

CAI systems are more stable.the numbers with the hood opened/cosed,are almost the same and after some pullings,the engine loses less power. i lost only 3hp after 5 dyno pullings with the hood closed.
so i think a CAI's gain is more realistic
"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

it depends,if you can fix a ram air then the short ram works better than without

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

on b-series,short rams don't work so good. neither on k-series. but they sound better i think :D

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Short ram... just make it 10 cm longer then the tube you get default... it gets me over 100 bhp/litre on the D14 and my B16B hits 126bhp/litre... I am almost an anti coldair person hehehehe since it can cramp up acoustics due to really different tube length. But I only have a hunch, still should sort it out one day at the dyno what the truth.

On the other hand, getting a shortram and making that even shorter... up to a filter on the TB, I've tested that many times and on average looses you 10 bhp easily. Due to acoustics, not the temp of the actual air making it in...

Acc3l3ratoR

Post by Acc3l3ratoR »

one wierd thing:
After i changed the cai (custom made) with the oem ek3 airbox sistem ... the car seems much quicker ...and the throttle feels more responsive :shock:

Is it just me???

the airbox ai absolutly stock ...even the filter is a stock one :roll:

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Acc3l3ratoR wrote:one wierd thing:
After i changed the cai (custom made) with the oem ek3 airbox sistem ... the car seems much quicker ...and the throttle feels more responsive :shock:

Is it just me???

the airbox ai absolutly stock ...even the filter is a stock one :roll:
Me too did this modification and yes the result it's better because the torque raised up.
And this stock EK3 airbox it is almost same with ek4 and ek9. That means it is capable to handle lot more power that D14 produces. I remind that ek9 with this airbox produces 185 hp!

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Hmm EK3 system, what does that look like? Anyone got a picture? I was thinking about fitting an OEM inlet system to my D16 IM for a more understated look. Also some of the OEM one's are like factory CAI's anyway!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete