Throttle bodies and intake manifold combinations.

hondaNickx

Throttle bodies and intake manifold combinations.

Post by hondaNickx »

What to do and what not to do...True the years i've been reading a lot of options and i always sticked to "Liveforpyshics" A.k.a Luke explanation cause it sounded the most logical to me.

This is a text i managed to get from a very old post of the previous D-series.org forum.I saved it right away into a text file like i do with everything i find :) .

Liveforphysics wrote:

When WOT, we must look at the TB as the entry to the plenum. The plenum volume must be sized correctly to work with the engine/cam/IM combo for an engine to function as a system to raise VE.The entry to the plenum needs to act like a 1-way valve to capture pulses from being lost out the intake tube. Too large of a TB, and you cause increased intake tube reversion and lower IM pressure due to lost pressure waves.

Things to remember, the smaller the plenum, the larger the TB that engine could have and still function, the larger the plenum, the smaller that TB needs to be to still function.

So, how big should your plenum be? Depends nearly all on cam profile.Can you loose power from larger TBs? Absolutely. Power and response can easily be lost. The ability to dynamically change RPM during acceleration can be hurt quite badly by both too large of TB and/or too large of intake pipeing diameter.Very very few d-series are/would benifit from a larger TB. I don't belive ANY d-series can make use of an H-series TB, and this would always be looseing power on that engine at all RPM points, UNLESS this engine had some excessively tiny plenum with very very excessive cam duration. At that point, the TB would be a band-aid for the incorrectly sized plenum, effectively shifting the plenum volume into the intake piping, but simotaniously reducing its ability to capture return pulse energy.Does your D-series need a larger TB? No. Do SOME d-series need a larger TB? Yes... but very rareDoes any D-series need an H-series TB? For NA applications, this will only be slowing you down.

BTW- NEVER NEVER port match a TB to the IM. Never ever ever! The IM needs to have a hole at least 4mm larger than the hole in the TB, and with a harsh step.

If you have sensitive MAP monitering equipment, you can actually see the drop in average plenum pressure at WOT after port matching or worse, putting a radius on the connection point.

With a properly sized TB for the plenum, and a harsh step in the right place, you can see as much a +0.25psi(gauge) of boost from the effective capture of return pulses. Go with a monster and or portmatched/radius setup and watch your plenum pressure always stay below 0psi(gauge).

Best Wishes,
-Luke

I hope somebody collects the post I make here... I'm not going to post the same info twice.
What i learned true the years is that in most cases you can get better results with a B16a1 (58mm) or B16a2 (60mm) throttle body onto your D16z6 or D16y8 intake manifold.
Keep in mind you need to have that anti reversion step of at least 4mm.So in case of a 60mm tb you'll need to enlarge the stock intake manifold opening to 64mm.

With most aftermarket manifolds like Skunk2 ,Edelbrock or Blox you'll be better of with a Stock Tb ,especially on a D14.Or maybe a B16a1 (58mm) Tb if you're going to seriously build your engine.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Re: Throttle bodies and intake manifold combinations.

Post by saxophonias »

Very informative indeed! I guess i am of the same opinion. In my case the very large plenum game me significantly more immediate throttle response throughout the powerband.

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

dont u need an extra thing to put a bigger TB ? i mean the air control valve?
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

marty40

Post by marty40 »

yes. the RACV. rotating air control valve. the D14 tb used the RACV on the D14 tb. which works with the standard ecu. a B or D tb uses the IACV idle air control valve. this is locted on the plenum, not the tb.

so if u want to use a diff tb ull need to get rid of the racv and go obd1. then use the iacv

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Firebass wrote:dont u need an extra thing to put a bigger TB ? i mean the air control valve?

I don't get it ? If you're using the D16y8 or D16z6 intake manifold you're allready using the IACV or EACV sensor .
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Firebass

Post by Firebass »

i didnt have this sensor when i bought it , i m using the current from the z2
Up the Rev Limiter !!!!!!

marty40

Post by marty40 »

i still use the racv with a d16 inlet. just blocked off the iacv mount on the manifold

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

A H22 Euro R Tb uses a RACV and is a 60mm tb .

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I know I've been doing everything wrong acording to this...

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Each has their own believe ;) a lot of guys believe in the bigger tb's .I haven't got to actually dyno testing this,but i know what kind of guy Liveforphisics is and i know he doesn't BS about anything and is very very experienced.