Turbo snail housing on throttlebody?!

Brambo

Turbo snail housing on throttlebody?!

Post by Brambo »

Hey guys, i looked on youtube to find some nice sohc vtec's with some muscle! And i found this one on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG3uN5c4 ... re=related

Its not stock at all ofcourse.. but if you look at the throttlebody theres a sort of snail house on it, i think its for the air to be forced a little bit more before entering the intakemanifold. But i never seen it before, and i think its briliant! haha :P
Its also not that hard to make?! So why did i never seen this before?
Somebody know this allready?

mynameisowen

Re: Turbo snail housing on throttlebody?!

Post by mynameisowen »

Interesting, never seen anything like this before but then again it could be common. It does mention in the title that the engine is turbo'd however I cant see any link between the exhuast and the snail on the throttle body. After watching the video again its clear that the actual turbo is located at the front of the car nowhere near the snail on the throttle body so it must be for other reasons. Hmmm, my first thought (before I saw the actual turbo) was that it couldve been an electric turbo (but I doubted that very much). I dont see what could be driving the compressor in the mini-turbo though, unless it has none and it is just used to redirect the flow at a right angle whilst trying to maintain its velocity round the corner, however, I don't really think it would be worth it, especially since its boosted so the air is going to be at a high pressure anyway.

I would really like to know what its for, anyone got any ideas?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

First time I see it as well... it's almost like a third impeller housing indeed. I've been thinking of similar contraptions as well in the sense that the flow is abruptly stopped (notice the plenum is much wider and therefore has lower velocities than the inlet before the snail). This abrupt stopping can be done in several ways, some will heat up the flow a little and loose some entropy, means efficiency loss at some point. But the snail might actually help converting the higher velocity flow to the lower velocity with less losses... actually I could have used the word 'resistance' all the time perhaps.

That would be my guess... and maybe since it is a machine with very high horsepower it might work... on my D14 I simply don't have a smaller inlet than plenum so in my car the problem is non-existent with a full inner diameter close to 70 mm for the entire inlet and plenum channel.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Why would having low velocity flow be useful in the plenum? I would've thought the flow in the inlet would quickly match the velocity of the surrounding flow as it entered the large plenum. If anything I thought the impeller would be used to ensure the flow entered the plenum with the least losses as possible. (By losses I mean pressure loss from going round a sharp corner).
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

Brambo

Post by Brambo »

There is also not much to find about the car or the specs of the build.. i know its from Midnight Performance, because the title says so..
But if you view the other other videos on youtube you will see 2 plugs?! I really want to know whats going on!? Maybe it is very usefull on n/a applications aswell..
I did found there facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Midnight- ... 2620274047

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

mynameisowen wrote:Why would having low velocity flow be useful in the plenum?
It would not be useful, it's just a fact that average velocity is lower than in the inlet by approximately the ratio in diameters between the two since the plenum is so enormously wide. The only thing is, an abrupt change can be handled good or bad... this might be good.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

I see what you mean :)

Brambo, I havn't looked at the link you posted but, by plugs do you mean it has injectors on the extra snail-ma-jigger? That would be strange.
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.

Brambo

Post by Brambo »

I think they are yes?! Strange stuff is going on up in the D!

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Hmmm, could just be extra enrichment or, only run during idle or something like that :?:
1996 EJ9 Civic

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.