EK9 exhaust

hondaNickx

Re: EK9 exhaust

Post by hondaNickx »

saxophonias wrote:d16z6 has a nice big 4-2-1 oem header! Good, indeed.
So on average b16a2 has 50mm exhaust diameters, in contrast to 57, bigger mufflers and more open. So the internal diameter of b16b must be around 53-54mm considering that the stock metal is thick enough for rusting reasons. From this difference how much of difference would you guess?

Those already are internal diameters afaik .
My stock D14 exhaust starts at 48mm ID after the cat and from the looks of it the ek4 exhaust is about the same.The whole Ek9 exhaust with rear muffler should be a very nice sporty exhaust for the D14.I'm also going to get the ek9 exhaust line ,cause my oem D14 exhaust is rusted like hell and almost ready to give out.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

i do highly recommend the ek9 catalyst. I placed it today and i can say that there isn't any noticeable power lose. Previously, for 5 years, i had a sebring high flow cat and last year i merely passed the emissions tests. So i began to worry about its condition. I grabbed the chance and purchased an ek9 cat from ek9.org for 30pounds which had very low mileage according to its owner. The exhaust sound is different now and i think i have gained some mid and high end power, in contrast with the pull from 1500 to 2000 which is slightly worse. Still minor differences.
The ek9 cat was much bigger in tubes so some custom work was needed, but no big deal. To put it on cost 15euros ;)

baz

Post by baz »

Nice topic!

I'm planning to buy an EK9 catback for my car. On this moment i have a BuddyClub Pro Spec but, its a little to loud for an 1.4 i think.

But how is the performance BC vs. EK9?
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

as far as i know the ek9 resonators are more advanced and oriented to performance in contrast to other oem honda ones. Still I would bet that the buddy club is more for performance, the question is how much more. Exhaust diameters play also significant role.

baz

Post by baz »

saxophonias wrote:as far as i know the ek9 resonators are more advanced and oriented to performance in contrast to other oem honda ones. Still I would bet that the buddy club is more for performance, the question is how much more. Exhaust diameters play also significant role.
Exhaust diameter of the BC is 2,5'' EK9 = 2,25''???

Well to know for sure i should put a EK9 system under the car and dyno it. Then we could tell the difference in performance, and noise :lol:

anyone interested in a BC system? 8-)
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

baz wrote:
saxophonias wrote:as far as i know the ek9 resonators are more advanced and oriented to performance in contrast to other oem honda ones. Still I would bet that the buddy club is more for performance, the question is how much more. Exhaust diameters play also significant role.
Exhaust diameter of the BC is 2,5'' EK9 = 2,25''???

Well to know for sure i should put a EK9 system under the car and dyno it. Then we could tell the difference in performance, and noise :lol:

anyone interested in a BC system? 8-)
Is it a pro spec with a extention piece ?Originally from Belgium ? :lol:

I'm not sure if ITR and EK9 center exhaust are the same (it also has 57.2mm ID in stainless steel ) but an ITR center exhaust looks very much the same and that uses stock ej9 donut gaskets at the rear muffller.And stock EJ9 gasket at the back end of the cat.So they restrict the exhaust either way.

I think EK9 is the same except it has a larger diameter between header and cat (2.5" JDM flange) after that it restricts back to oem ej9 size.Saxophonias you should know this since you have the ek9 cat .Does the triangle flange at the back of the cat fit onto your exhaust , is it the same diamensions as before?You should only have changed the donut flange to make it fit onto your car and maybe extend it because the JDM cat is a shorter one.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

the flange of the ek9 was way too huge to fit my 55mm exhaust tube. So i did some custom work to fit the ek9 cat to the 55mm tube (open it a bit.) The length isn't a problem since my exhaust isn't the oem one.
Moreover my ej9 never had a donut, only 2 screws with a spring in it for the absorption of vibrations which i have kept until now. They are located near the header.

baz

Post by baz »

MM oke thnx Nick for the info. I've got the Buddyclub Pro spec from Rising Sun Performance in the Netherlands. So sorry not from Belgium ;)

So the flange of a EK9 exhaust has no restriction towards the midpipe. Thats great to hear! Maybe I'm going to order the EK9 catback this weekend. I have to sleep over it :lol:
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

man, even if it's not a straight bolt on procedure it's very easy for an exhaust center to adjust it and it costs almost nothing. Furthermore after swapping the ek9 cat, the exhaust became quieter (my sebring was making metallic sounds)

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

100% sure you also modified the triangle shaped flange on that ek9 cat ???

The flange on the right is too big and needs modification ,because its 2.5" that i know.But the flange on the Left ( triangle shape) didn't need modification right?