EK9 exhaust

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: EK9 exhaust

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Got one laying around, will check this weekend. From what I remember the triangle stands out a few mm from normal dimensions. Either put a bigger flange on the midpipe, cut out the original flange or use very tiny and vulnerable bolts... this is why some aftermarket triangles don't have round holes, but small elongated holes in the radial direction.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

i had to but only due to the fact that prior i had an aftermarket cat which didn't bolt on to the header directly with a flange but to an extension tube.

baz

Post by baz »

Allright, i've orderd a OEM EK9 exhaust system (cat to back) Delivery time about 2-3 weeks. Keep you guys updated! 8-)
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

lelouchvi

Post by lelouchvi »

Looking forward to it, I might get one too

baz

Post by baz »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Got one laying around, will check this weekend. From what I remember the triangle stands out a few mm from normal dimensions. Either put a bigger flange on the midpipe, cut out the original flange or use very tiny and vulnerable bolts... this is why some aftermarket triangles don't have round holes, but small elongated holes in the radial direction.
I compared the traingle shape from the EK9 exhaust to my oem D14 cat. The holes stand out a few mm, so i'm going to grind the cat holes a little bigger to fit to the EK9 catback. Soon some photos:)
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

lelouchvi

Post by lelouchvi »

Baz you getting a new one?
I have decided to go MIJ on the 2nd to get a mid sport cat-back.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Well i've just bought my own ek9 b-pipe so i'm going to measure everything correctly so i know the right diamensions once and for all.I've asked several different people who had this exhaust and they all give different answers :roll: Seems to be pretty hard taking a dial caliper and measuring the inside diameters( the ones that count).
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

baz

Post by baz »

hondaNickx wrote:Well i've just bought my own ek9 b-pipe so i'm going to measure everything correctly so i know the right diamensions once and for all.I've asked several different people who had this exhaust and they all give different answers :roll: Seems to be pretty hard taking a dial caliper and measuring the inside diameters( the ones that count).
Mm yes i understand, to be sure you should do it yourself instead listening to others..

I've got my catback installed! Wow what a big difference compared to the BC pro spec. Perfect exhaust sound, and ive got a feeling that i've more torqe.. :)
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

baz

Post by baz »

But to explain some installing issues!

1. Your OEM catalysator wont fit. So get a shorter one or an adjustable.
2. The OEM catalysator wont fit either because of the 2,5'' flange to the exhaust manifold.
3. Gaskets, 1 traingular shaped with an inside diameter of 60mm. And 2 donut gaskets with a diameter of 50mm.
4. New bolts, nuts and springs. 3 bolts and nuts for the midpipe to cat. 2 springs and bolts for the backbox. You dont need nuts, because they are already on the flange of the midpipe.
5. Wrenches! And sockets.
6. Some WD40! ;)

I did my install on 4 jacks. Its a lot easier to do the install on a lift..

Now go and install!
D14A3-OBD1-I/H/E
126 hp /145 Nm

lelouchvi

Post by lelouchvi »

Baz, when you have time can you post some picture or video? =] it would be a great help/ guide for others and me