Exhaust manifolds

sktaroins

Re: Exhaust manifolds

Post by sktaroins »

pardizzle21 wrote:
sktaroins wrote: my question is how to test the header - meaning if i would design a header ..how do i test how much power it will give me ?
any idea ?
how do they test how many hp does a header give .. what do they use?
Dyno run before fitting, then dyno run after fitting!simple ;)

DIDNT THINK OF THAT ... JEE THX
but i know there is another air pressure system that measures header hp without fitting and after fitting on dyno would give lower results which then means that therz something wrong with the engine setup.
ill have to search more i guess.

thx again.

Acc3l3ratoR

Post by Acc3l3ratoR »

so.. should i get any positives diferences (power and torgue wise)from mounting the d16z6 header ...on the engine???

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

a friend of mine has a ZC with the oem 4-1 header. he also has a 4-2-1 from the Z6.
will we see any difference if we put the Z6 one?
"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".

archyman

Post by archyman »

I had recently mounted the d16Y8 4-2-1 header, and have several hundred km's with it now.
I have mixed feelings about the swap. The torque curve flattened and there is no kick after mid range (there was a kick after z9 IM swap). On the highway the performance is again poor in low and middle rpm, however above 6k rpm in 4th gear the engine shows some reserve in power. (not tested above 150 km/h).
Can't really say without a dyno, but my guess is that ECU tune is a must in order to feel proper power increase.
So not a big deal by itself, maybe aftermarket 4-1 or 4-2-1 is better due to longer and equally lenght runners.

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

What is the length of the rest of the exhaust? Maybe it is a mess with the flow?

archyman

Post by archyman »

The rest of the exhaust is the OEM d14a4 one. My exhaust mechanic said that there is no need to change it unless serious ecu tunning is made. Do you think that there could be a problem with the flow with this setup?

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

stock d14 exhaust is 42mm, i think the d16 is bigger.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

I've had the Bisimoto header which was just a d16 header ( not custom made) and been doing research ever since to find a suitable header for the D14.I ended up asking a highly reputable company in the usa ( burns stainless exhaust) if my Bisimoto header with it pipe sizes and lengths would be perfect for my build d14.They said the collector was too big and they could make a better one for me for aprox. $400

Offcourse i didn't wanted to pay that much for just the merge collector.
But i ended up asking them more about the sizes ect...
The perfect sizes for a 4-1 header where 68cm primary length pipes incl flange , and the pipes dimension need to be 1 5/8".
Merge collector needs to merge into 1 7/8" size after that it needs a reverse cone that opens up to your exhaust size ( 2" or 2,25" would be ideal) I've had 2,5" exhaust size in the past but i think its too large 2,25" is ideal.

Basicly what this translates into is a DC sports 4-1 header comes very close to these specs.It has 1 5/8" primaries and i think it comes close to 68cm in pipe length.The only thing that needs modification is the merge collector that is too big. It is 2" on the dc sports 4-1 and it needs to be 45mm inside diameter and after the merge into 45mm ID it can open up to 2 " or 2,25" or whatever size exhaust you are using.

Cheaper alternatives are SRS 4-1 headers but i think they aren't long enough .I still need to measure the primary length of the dc sports header.(i need to order it)

I think this is a good performance header for a d14 with lots of mods.
Don't be fooled by the small 45mm ID collector size.
With 4-1 headers this needs to be done ,this doesn't work with 4-2-1 header though !
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

BETEK wrote:Exhaust Manifolds for D-series 1988-2000
Iresa C29TE29 60mm output
What you thinking about the Iresa 4-1 manifold with 60mm output and about it is shape?

or about Raceland 4-1 header that is very similar shape with OEM one
BETEK wrote:Image
What about the 4-1 header of Raceland.
Does someone know the specs of this manifold?
Raceland gives 10 years warranty.
It seems that it has correct design about lamda sensor for D14 engines because lamda will collect data from all cylinders as oem.
Do you think that it will perform better from 4-2-1 headers? Because better breathing at high revs?
Has someone any feedback for this header? Or do you ever heard anything about this header?
http://www.raceland.com/products/ro-hc- ... onda-civic
In my opinion the D14 with stock camshaft will perform very well with Raceland header, but the question is what about the Iresa header?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41&start=90
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41&start=110
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41&start=120

Here is also information about many others manifold for D-series including 4-2-1 and 4-1
http://mycomputerninja.com/~jon/hondain ... index.html