Exhaust manifolds

saxophonias

Exhaust manifolds

Post by saxophonias »

Manifold Patterns (4-2-1 vs 4-1, 1piece vs 2 piece) style (long, curbed, short) sizes (primaries, secondaries, lenght) material (types of inox, ceramic coated etc) flow( interior finishing). All these are things we tend to neglect when we pick our header. Another crucial factor is the way each manifold performs throughout the wideband and not only mere peak horsepower. Consequently, not all types of headers will serve our purposes. Some of them will benefit us when tracking or rallying while some others will give us plenty of push during drag races. In the former occasion we need torque and power with emphasis to the midrange, while in the latter we need top end power! So think before you choose.

saxophonias

Re: Exhaust manifolds

Post by saxophonias »

Something few people are aware is that, when swapping a 4-1 header then there is an issue with the stock lamda sensor. More precisely stock lamda is not a heated one, meaning that you cannot and must not relocate it, that is move it further, as simply it won't work properly. 4-2-1 or 2 pieces header are ok since the place of the lamda stays more or less the same. So its working temperature is ok, since exhaust gases heat it all the time. In contrast, if you relocate it back to the catalyst like 4-1 design headers then there is an issue. The temperature of the o2 sensor keep changes so the sensor doesn't work right and you have many issues.
I found out this when i swapped my 4-1 DC header. I finally used another NTK o2 sensor which was a heated one (3cables). The one extra cable is the ground, and the second the power-resistance- i connected to the fuse box.

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

i'm gonna buy the "Rage tri-y" for my "B series", one day
i'd like the Skunk but the price is very high
"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Hey that Tri-Y is actually in a sea-container right now for my B16B, I'll see when I get results from it. Re-dyno/tune of that car will probably be around early 2010.

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

i'm looking forward for the results
"The unique valve cover, the hidden spark plug wires. this is something any serious engine enthusiast will recognize instantly: Honda's B-series".

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Hey that Tri-Y is actually in a sea-container right now for my B16B, I'll see when I get results from it. Re-dyno/tune of that car will probably be around early 2010.
spend money on the D man :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 2 top end headers i would like to spend money on, is the Bisimoto and Sms-p headers. The first due to the fact that i would like to have bisi stuff on my car that they are meant for working together and the second as i could customize my header according to mods.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

As soon as the B16B is a reliable 200 bhp track car the money drain is directly stopped and it will not be further developed. Attention will go back to the D14 by then. Since the clutch started to burn yesterday I might be forced to spend my money earlier hehe... problem is I just have to little of it :D . (Don't we all?).

Power of Vtec

Post by Power of Vtec »

bisimoto's header is a piece of art, but the price is a high level too :(

Law_

Post by Law_ »

any cheap alternative for the manifold?
are any Honda with decent manifold that can be applied in mine?
I'd sayd like 50 - 55mm internal.
Cheers

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

you can buy almost any e-bay header for d-series with 40-60 USD. They will do the job :o