Exhaust manifolds

saxophonias

Re: Exhaust manifolds

Post by saxophonias »

still i don't know if someone who isn't going to tune his car to more than 130hp is worth spending much money on headers. if mine ever brakes, a nicely made ebay header is going to be my choice.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

To each there own ,i just hate it when you buy something and it doesn't fit properly and you need to cut and grind it and it still sits on a angle.
My ebay header got 2 years of abuse ,it never fitted properly even after adapting it 3 times.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

hondaNickx wrote:To each there own ,i just hate it when you buy something and it doesn't fit properly and you need to cut and grind it and it still sits on a angle.
My ebay header got 2 years of abuse ,it never fitted properly even after adapting it 3 times.
This is so true but is the extra price worth it?

I'll probably buy an ebay header but if anyone finds one that fits well they should let EVERYONE know!!
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

mynameisowen wrote:
hondaNickx wrote:To each there own ,i just hate it when you buy something and it doesn't fit properly and you need to cut and grind it and it still sits on a angle.
This is so true but is the extra price worth it?

I'll probably buy an ebay header but if anyone finds one that fits well they should let EVERYONE know!!

Well is it worth the extra cost ? most likely not.Depends how skilled you are with a welder and a angle grinder :lol: .But i can understand people getting the cheaper ones.I've used the cheap parts long enough .But now i just can't stand it anymore.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dwardu

Post by Dwardu »

didn't know there was such a problem with fitting, my 4-2-1 ebay header fit on right away, the downpipe was a bit shorter than the stock one but all i had to do was push in the exhaust a bit from the backbox and then it reached the cat just fine
--

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

Nick must have been unlucky with that i guess. I also have 2 good experiences with some friends' ebay headers. I can judge from my dc 4-1. Why should someone spend that amount of money if he can have the same hp numbers (with intake mods and ecu tuning) with a cheap header too.As i said earlier if you don't wish for extreme power almost anything will do the job.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Dwardu wrote:didn't know there was such a problem with fitting, my 4-2-1 ebay header fit on right away, the downpipe was a bit shorter than the stock one but all i had to do was push in the exhaust a bit from the backbox and then it reached the cat just fine

That's the first problem ;)
I'm not unlucky with that header , i think i'm the only one who cares about pulling the entire exhaust line up front and connecting donut gaskets under an angle ...
Anyway i swap my exhaust at least 2 times every year ,believe me when i say it gets frustating after a while dealing with crappy headers or exhaust.

Dwardu

Post by Dwardu »

oh on a side note i bought one which was sprayed matte black, it was terrible though the paint started to chip away instantly within a week of use, if you buy cheap, don't go for the sprayed ones
--

jarvis483

Post by jarvis483 »

i got a 4-2-1 and decat for my D14 off ebay for £105 posted. works a treat, although the gasket between the 4 and the 2 is blowing a little, but one short email later and they are sending me a replacement gasket. so should be fine once its fitted :)

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

jarvis483 wrote:i got a 4-2-1 and decat for my D14 off ebay for £105 posted. works a treat, although the gasket between the 4 and the 2 is blowing a little, but one short email later and they are sending me a replacement gasket. so should be fine once its fitted :)
Thats good news, have you got a link for the manifold?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete