Exhaust bolts

Dwardu

Exhaust bolts

Post by Dwardu »

I tried to install an exhaust manifold yesterday and I ran into some trouble

The 2 bolts connecting the catalyst and the down pipe are rusted on pretty badly, tried dousing them in WD-40 and didn't help, I'm thinking of just breaking them off and buying new bolts, anyone know what kind of bolts I should be looking for? They seemed a bit weird cause the thread is smaller than the bolt head and I wasn't sure if I could get them off some random ironmonger
--

BETEK

Re: Exhaust bolts

Post by BETEK »

Dwardu

Post by Dwardu »

yea, how'd you find those so fast? lol looked on ebay for a while before coming here, didnt think to search mounting kit :(

i did check on hondapartsnow.com though and it lists the silencer bolt and the catalyst bolt on different part numbers, do you think they are the same size and i can use the ones you linked? although those only ship to UK :(

Or maybe, could i use a normal bolt that fits, and add a washer+nut?

pic of the ones i got stuck on
--

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I sometimes used normal bolts, but that is hell to keep fixed and its bad for the sealing. The sealing will constantly be crushed, crumble and as a reaction on that the bolts become looser. Always double lock the bolts at least in that case.

Getting those spring pressure bolts on is much much more reliable and lasts longer. But yes they do tend to rust away. I think any automotive store or Dealer would sell them to you as well? Have to replace some on my girls car soon, the bolt is literally on the last 3 pieces of thread, surprised its still hanging.

Dwardu

Post by Dwardu »

What kind of bolt would i ask for? Does it have some kind of standard name or am i gonna have to take a picture or something? and its size

I had something like this in mind if i couldn't find the bolt i need
--

saxophonias

Post by saxophonias »

nice topic! mines are looking good so far 8-)

Dwardu

Post by Dwardu »

K. I went with the normal bolt + washer plan, seems to work fine for now although I noticed while tightening the header that there is some oil leaking from my valve cover? :? You can see it in the bottom left corner of the cover on this picture, that isn't normal is it?

--

BETEK

Post by BETEK »

Don't worry about that oil leak.
You can fix it easy, just put some gasket bond at the valve cover gasket.

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

I take my cover loose every now and then... officially you should replace gasket. Practically I don't. Does not help keeping the head dry :mrgreen: .

My cars always tend to leak a bit right there. :roll: Not much to worry I'd say.

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

Yea my firend has had leak on his civic there for aaaages. As joris said your supposed to replace the gasket when taking off the rocker cover, but its not biggie im sure.
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete