camgear

lakaiD14

Re: camgear

Post by lakaiD14 »

but i mount it on a D14a3 head, i should use the 7'o clock timingmark right?
"some have dreams, mine is reality :P"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

To be precise: you can not use the other marks simply because your deckheight wont allow for it.

So in the case of Z6 cam it is fine, you can time the cam exactly correct, but with an Y8 cam you have to choose, do you miss align by half a tooth advanced or retarded?

Tip: when in doubt, always take the retarded option, often that is were the ponies are hiding.

novaksaotome

Post by novaksaotome »

hey, i got an AEM adjustable camgear for my D16Z6 mini-me, but it sims it actually is for a D16Y8, is it going to be off timing? donno if the marks wont be aligned, someone knows?

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Can you put a (high res) picture? (Or link to it)

novaksaotome

Post by novaksaotome »

here it is, i donno if the link works
http://img96.imageshack.us/i/poulie.jpg/

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Indeed it is D16Y8. Not the best angle to look from, but this picture indeed shows the gap with a little forward offset. So at zero degrees the cam will actually be advanced about 4.5 deg of cam rotation. (Which is 9 degrees crank rotation).

Since usually ESi cams in D14/D15 engines perform better around 4.5 deg cam rotation retard, you can put the gear retarded by a lot (and than dyno ofcourse for the precise point).

novaksaotome

Post by novaksaotome »

ok thanks for the info, very precious, what about setting it one tooth off set to retard it and then a couple of degrees more? indeed how many degrees is one tooth? unfortunately i wont have acces to a dyno, where i live there's none.. so i have to know the adjustements as precise as possible before i get the engine to turn, bt i will compare the stock and the aem gears before to have an idea. thanks again!!

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Actually putting it one tooth retarded is a very good point for your car I'd say... one tooth is around 9.5 deg. Total of 38 teeth (I think), 360/38 = 9.47...

Most cars reach max hp around 0.5 tooth retard, since your camgear is 0.5 tooth advanced, put it 1 complete tooth retard to have it 0.5 tooth retard effectively on the cams itself. Can anyone follow this reasoning? :mrgreen:

novaksaotome

Post by novaksaotome »

i dint think the reasoning was that simple, it makes sense to me, i think the swap will be ready bu saturday, so i could try to start the car...
thanks a lot Dodo

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Good luck !