D14a4 cylinder head cross section

hondaNickx

D14a4 cylinder head cross section

Post by hondaNickx »

My old f***ked up D14 head got under the bandsaw at work...

Nice to see is that there's an enlargement in the center of the intake port.
This head could gain velocity if we filled up the floor of the intake ports.
More on this in the "Motoman topic".
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Re: D14a4 cylinder head cross section

Post by Dodo Bizar »

Really nice pictures!

But about the dip in the inlet port, isn't it due to the fact that you cross that port a little diagonal? If a tiny river of water would run down the runner, would it form a puddle or slow down on some pieces? I doubt it a little.

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Dodo Bizar wrote:Really nice pictures!

But about the dip in the inlet port, isn't it due to the fact that you cross that port a little diagonal? If a tiny river of water would run down the runner, would it form a puddle or slow down on some pieces? I doubt it a little.
It could be , but i checked them all with my finger before cutting them down and even then i felt the puddle.
Some say the port creates like a momentum to get a strong flow into the head. Going wide before entering a small exit to get a higher velocity.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

mynameisowen

Post by mynameisowen »

truly awesome, whats was wrong with this head in the first place?
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

Dodo Bizar
Site Admin

Post by Dodo Bizar »

If you could feel the puddle, it is there... I should do the same since I have 2 D14 head lying around haha.

Momentum creation who knows. I expect Honda to do some CFD calculations on it, was CFD for engines developed to such a degree in the 90's?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

Well since Mr. Kamaguti was allready involved in this in the 1950's in Japan ,i would guess they could.
The japanese where always ahead from the rest of the world when it comes to technology.
Even the Type-r heads in 1998 got a hand finish so i think they would know something more.