Cams for D14

mynameisowen

Re: Cams for D14

Post by mynameisowen »

So Nick if what you say is true. What do you believe is the best stock cam for the D14? The standard EJ9 D14A4/A3 one??

79mm I dont think anyone is doubting your gains at all mate. Have you measured your D14A4/D16Y7 cams??
1996 EJ9 Civic
1998 BB8 Prelude Motegi VTi
1998, B16A2 EK4 Civic VTi

Aims:
EJ9 - Now my GF's car.
BB8 - Rebuild after crash damage to front end.
EK4 - Daily driver. Strip and track prep once prelude project complete

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

If you know your engine stuff you would also know that the Rod to stroke ratio and bore to stroke ratio effects piston speed and piston dwell time it sits at bdp.Those things also change cam timing and lift.

Nobody said they didn't work good they do like i allready said.
But there's still hp to gain because of the "wrong" cam settings.
Why do you think bisimoto's cams make more HP then Skunk2 or crower and such ?It's all because of those small details that everyone wouldn't even bother to talk about.Why do you think Honda uses D16 cams in D14's and B16 cams in B18's ? They work good and they save costs...But that doesn't mean they are perfect cams for that particilar engine.
I'm sticking to what i'm saying for a long time a D16 isn't a D14,not by a long shot.

We don't know for sure that the EJ9 cam is infact a D16 cam .I haven't seen D16y7 cam specs around here to compare to the D14 cam specs ?We only have a Visual confirmation...

@ Owen i have no idea what the best stock D14 cam is ,i only know the Specs of the D14a4 cam that i got from bisimoto when i shipped in my cam.
So i can't guess what cam would be better.
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

79mm

Post by 79mm »

Its a d16 cam. I have some engines in my garage and i know my stuff well believe me ;)

I dont need any cam specs to recognize that.

Law_

Post by Law_ »

Interesting discussion =) Please lets find out D16Y7 cam specs. i can get my hands in one of those !

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

You can't determine lope angles, degrees and size just by looking at them .
The only thing you can say is that it Looks the same and that's it.
But to each their own believe ;)
Quote from Endyn:"The combustion chamber is a better shape than the DOHC.So don't chunk those 1.6 SOHC engines, they can make really good power. For a pure performance application, regardless of application, I'd choose the SOHC. No bull!"

Law_

Post by Law_ »

hondaNickx wrote:You can't determine lope angles, degrees and size just by looking at them .
The only thing you can say is that it Looks the same and that's it.
But to each their own believe ;)
So, anyone has to have those specs !
On honda EPC, i will see if the part number is the same !

79mm

Post by 79mm »

Thats true. No one can that by only looking of it. Im said that about the comparison from a d14 cam to a d16 cam. You can see the big difference on the lopes. The Honda EPC says that the cams are different. But dont believe the Epc always 100 %

79mm

Post by 79mm »

@hondanickx

Did you ever hold a real 79mm stroke D14 Cam or a 90mm stroke D16 Cam in your Hand?

hondaNickx

Post by hondaNickx »

79mm wrote:@hondanickx

Did you ever hold a real 79mm stroke D14 Cam or a 90mm stroke D16 Cam in your Hand?
I've had several in my hands ,and i know the specs from the D14 cam.
And i also know specs from a Delta y7 cam.
I shipped out 2 D14a4 cams to Bisimoto 1 was for a stage 1 regrind and another was for my level 2 regrind. Measure the lobes take some pictures and proof us you're right.I know my level 1 or level 2 Bisi cam specs are totaly different then those Delta Y7 cam specs.

79mm

Post by 79mm »

Of course it is different,yon cannot compare a 260 or 272 delta regrind vs Bisimoto Webcamshaft. They all have their own specs with more or less lift and duration. Whatever,if its a d16 cam or not.... you have to send your core for a regrind.
Didnt you see my pics? My real d14a2 cam has much smaller lopes than the ej9 one,its the same from the dimensions like a JDM D16 Cam that i have here too. I have compared the lopes from the y7 one vs d14a4 one,it was sadly the same.
And if anybody throw in a y7 cam in his ej9,he will get a half tooth error with the stock a3/a4 cam gear.
What about Delta? Seems they make nice 272dgr Regrinds ive heard.
Guys are impressed about.